Bedding: Straw vs Pine Shavings

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
When I first got my chickens I used pine shavings as bedding and really liked it. I use the deep litter method and I never had problems with odor or wet bedding as long as I kept up with it. That wasn't hard to do because it was relatively low maintenance.

DW and I decided to try straw because it is so much cheaper than shavings. We bought 30 bales for $1 a bale. It was nice at first but I learned quickly that it constantly has to be thrown out and fresh straw put in. I can't use the deep litter method that I had previously been using. The straw just doesn't have the same absorption as the shavings did. My coop is damp and "gooey" and doesn't smell good after a very short time.

Tomorrow, I'm going to go buy about 100 cubic feet of pine shavings. It's time to get back to what worked for me.

Yeah, I can't believe that people use straw. My brother used it and it was a mess to deal with and didn't absorb at all. Didn't seem as friendly in the compost pile as shavings either.

I always wondered if straw would be better run through a chipper/shredder... It's just horrible to work with regular. shavings absorb MUCH better and are much easier to handle.

Quote:
You are right about the cost but, at this point for me, shavings are something I can afford and something I'm willing to do to avoid the extra mess and work from straw.

Back
Top Bottom