Bedding? With or without

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hendrix25, Jun 9, 2009.

1. hendrix25

hendrix25 Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    I have been putting pine shavings in my ducks house but now that I have a new little problem...FIRE ANTS...I fill like I'm wasting the shavings by changing them out in order to control the ants. Would it be okay to just let them (my ducks) be on the wood, and use no type of bedding? This way I can wash out the house every day, the water, poop and spilled feed will flow through the bottom cracks in the floor. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Trying to battle these little demons is hard to do. I don't want to put the ducks in their house at night with ants crawling all in their shavings.

2. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    That would work temporarily, but your wood will rot from the water.

3. hendrix25

hendrix25 Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:No it won't it's weather treated. It's from a boat dock that my husband and to redeck. [​IMG]

4. hendrix25

hendrix25 Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Any other thoughts? Do ducks need a type "nest" to sleep in? I know they will when the ducks start laying, but for now is it okay for them to be on straight wood?

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Heck yes ducks were often raised on 'wood slat' floors, it is kinder to their feet and toes than wire floors are. ~gd

6. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    my 2 ducks sleep on the dirt! We used hay, sticks, leaves(he did like them) and they stuck with dirt!

Grits down the ant mounts will kill them and is safe around ducks........Swells in their bodies and kills them!

7. hendrix25

hendrix25 Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:i'll try that. i've tried cornmeal but that didn't work...it was something i read somewhere. trust me i'll try anything once...lol

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: