Bedding

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcpumphrey, Jul 22, 2016.

1. mcpumphrey

mcpumphrey Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    I'm new here! I have two 15 week old Pekin females. I want to possibly switch their bedding from recycled paper bedding to something more cost effective, but still comfy and safe!! Need some opinions on good bedding! Thanks!

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :welcome

Pine shavings would probably be the cheapest and safest thing. You can get them anywhere (Walmart, TSC, your local feed store). Just make sure they aren't cedar :)

3. WiddleChix

WiddleChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2016
    California
    All I buy is pine shavings for my chicks it's pretty cheap about $6 for a big bag of it.

4. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

It really depends where you're located. Are you in the U.S?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I too like wood shavings and as said above just be sure they're are not cedar ones. There are some great articles here on bedding and coop materials that I'm sure you will find helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I use sand or even any type of soil that has good run off. I am fortunate that live in the middle of nowhere and can harvest it for free out here. LOL But if you have a near by river area that you can legally dig sand, river sand is an excellent medium to use. Sand is very clean, easy to maintain, it repels flies, dries fast and stays fairly dry when wet and the birds love to dig around and even bathe in it. I used to use wood shavings but switched years ago to natural sand and dirt and I will never go back to standard beddings. Even use sand in my nest boxes! LOL

Definitely follow the link that Yorkshire Coop has provided for more ideas on the different types of bedding out there.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our roost! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It pretty much comes down to sand or pine shavings, some folks use the deep litter method, which I am not familiar with.

8. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the deep litter method with pine shavings.
    I clean it out 2x per year and my coop/birds always smell good. No problem with flies, either.
    The cleanouts go into the compost and are turned over weekly.
    Sure does wonders for the veggie garden and as a mulch around the fruit trees.
    I just can't fathom any other method.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. n8nbu

n8nbu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Hopkins Township, Mi
    What is the deep litter methed,? we have leaves,grass and pine shavings here in the country. And I'm wondering how deep even if I just use pine shavings for the cold winter months here in Michigan. Love our chicks but so much to learn thank you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by