Bedtime

Mommabear51815

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
My chickens have a very large coop and a pretty good size run area. The first 6 are just starting to lay eggs and the other 6 are a few weeks away yet. They all seem to get along. Problem- when I close up the coop at night, they pile up by the door. They don’t use their roosts. They just pile up together. It’s August in Ohio, so it’s not cold. They have a window, but I leave it partially closed at night so that they don’t get cold. And even if it’s closed, they still pile up. What should I do?

My chickens have a very large coop and a pretty good size run area. The first 6 are just starting to lay eggs and the other 6 are a few weeks away yet. They all seem to get along. Problem- when I close up the coop at night, they pile up by the door. They don’t use their roosts. They just pile up together. It’s August in Ohio, so it’s not cold. They have a window, but I leave it partially closed at night so that they don’t get cold. And even if it’s closed, they still pile up. What should I do?
If they have bars to roost on then physically put them on. Do it for a few nights and see if they get the hang of it. Chicken tend to be creatures of habit and learn fast. Is some thing deterring them from wanting to roost like maybe odd angle to fly up or they can't see enough so they don't go all the way in the coop to roost?

Is there a window to allow ambient light in so they can see the roosts? If not, a night light might be in order until they get settled, but don't leave it on all night. Do they go in the coop by themselves? How high are the roosts? It's not unusual for young birds, who have "huddled" in a pile together since they first hatched for communal warmth and comfort, to continue to do so into puberty and beyond. Many chicken keepers find that we have to teach them adult roosting behavior by physically placing them on the roosts at near dark for several nights in a row. It's like moving a human child from a crib to a big bed, takes a little getting used to, but they soon get the hang of it.

I wonder if closing the window is the problem?

Chickens need at least 1 square foot of ventilation per bird at all times and don't want to go into a coop that's too stuffy. They aren't troubled by anything but the most extreme cold because they're wearing down coats but they are bothered by heat. :)

There are a lot of threads about ventilation that you could read for ideas of how to make sure that you've got enough ventilation 24/7/365.

They just pile up together. It’s August in Ohio, so it’s not cold.
Not cold at night either.....leave the window open.

Whatcha gonna do in winter when it really gets cold?
Chickens need at least 1 square foot of ventilation per bird at all times and don't want to go into a coop that's too stuffy. They aren't troubled by anything but the most extreme cold because they're wearing down coats

Are you in northern or southern Ohio?

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Mommabear51815
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597410708938.png

Back
Top Bottom