Bee hive in coop

If you can tell where they are flying in and out of the coop, you can set the end of the shop vac an inch or two next to it and suck up the critters as they fly in and out. It's pretty funny and fun. The nest I vacuumed was in the ground so I just set the end of the hose on the ground about an inch from their hole. It was great fun to watch them get sucked up coming and going. I'd leave it there for a while and go off and do other things.

I thought it was a bee hive when I suggested calling a beekeeper. It's yellow jackets. They wont come out for those. I don't think anyone is trying to save yellow jackets.
bee keepers only deal with honeybees for the most part and will gladly take the hive and all as they make money off the honey produced, Wasps, yellow Jackets and other assholes with wings aren't any good to anyone really, but some are willing to help remove the hive, this time of year it would be very dangerous as it's their mating season so they are extremely aggressive to not have proper protective gear or do so after dark when there is minimal activity

It is in the next box. The only way to get at it is to open the roof. Is is well seal of freedom the coop. So, i am going to use wasp/ yellow jacket spray. Will do it tomorrow morning. Water down the area. This should not impact the inside. Or at least not much. If it does, then i can do a full fall clean up. I will hang a few traps to catch the stragglers.

Thanks everybody.

I have used wasp and hornet killer in my little coop without harming the chickens.
It's just tricky, time-wise, to lock the chickens out of the run and coop area until nearly dark, spray the wasps, make sure they are dead or nearly, sweep them out of the way so the chickens can't get them and either eat the poisoned ones or get stung, then let the chickens back in so they can go to roost. And also have an escape route in case the wasps come at you. Not fun to be tripping over chickens at that point. Good luck!

They are not yellow jackets. Yellow jackets rarely nest above ground.
Hornets' nests are spherical and covered with a paper like substance.
You are dealing with hornets.

Yellow jackets normally have a hole in the ground leading to their nest.
Hornets have spherical nests attached to a structure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom