Bee-keeping and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ponyup, May 28, 2012.

1. ponyup

ponyup In the Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Aubrey TX
    Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has experience with keeping bees along with their chickens. I am looking into getting a hive and believe that my chickens would adjust but I wanted some sage advice before I went out and did it.
    Happy Trails Y'all

2. Ehirning

Ehirning Chirping

May 18, 2012
    I have bees and chickens. The hive & coop are quite a distance from each other so no real issues. They both seem to be super-addicting, however. Enjoy!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Just curious, I have been thinking of getting bees but they'd be close to the coop. What issues would be caused by having them close to a coop? They just like to be rather isolated?

4. jdesq1

jdesq1 In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    I keep bees and chickens and have no problems. One of my hives is right up against my coop and the other 8 are within 50 feet.

5. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Thank you! Because that is where I planned to put mine, right up against the coop. Just seems to be the best place. Other than the chickens, they'd be most isolated there. I don't think the chickens will bother them nor them the chickens though I can sort of fence off that spot if needed to keep the chickens away from it.

6. Impress

Impress Songster

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Just never get Guineas, they LOVE to eat bees and wasps and will decimate your hives quickly and efficiently.

7. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    No worries, I can't stand guineas. They are loud and wont' stay where you want them. And now I have a third reason lol. I love my wasps and bees both, wouldn't want something eating them.

8. ponyup

ponyup In the Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Aubrey TX
    Oh no, I have guineas! I did not consider them, but have seen them jumping up and eating flying things. Well, I will have to wait on the bees for now it seems. My land had cattle on it at one time and the ticks and scorpions were awful until I set loose the guinea fowl.
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    Happy Trails

9. ncfastdogs

ncfastdogs In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Rutherford County, NC
    We have bees and chickens with no issues. We have 3 hives and the chickens don't even notice the bees, but they are in different corners of the backyard. I have heard that guineas will sit in front of the hive eating bees as they come in and out of the hive. My husband it taking his hands-on test on Sunday to become a certified bee keeper. Wish him luck!

10. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chirping

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I am so curious about keeing bees! There is a Hive about 10 Kms down the road from our home, and I noticed that in the springtime there are so many Honey Bee's in our trees and gardens that the noise is louder than a lawn mower, and Im not joking! I wonder, would it be okay to start my own hive, having this other hive rather close? I wouldnt be interfering or stealing his bee's would I? Im not sure how it works at all, but I have been thinking about looking into for weeks, so I might just have to do that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: