Bee keeping

I see that this thread may be dead, but have a quick question if any of you may have the answer!

I set up my first hive last weekend with a nucleus colony that I had purchased. I picked up a second nuc for a friend and it sat overnight on the transformer box in front of my house. When he picked it up some of the bees were left behind. There are now probably 100-150 bees swarmed up on the box, even 5 days later. If I brush them into my empty nuc box and put them back my my hive will they integrate into that colony, will they possibly move themselves, or will they likely just stay there until they die??

Hi Torrelee!

I don't have the answer--sorry. In case nobody answers, do you have a BeeKeeper Society in your county? If not, call your county agent. They should be able to put you in touch with someone.

Good Luck!!

Please keep me posted. I am curious to see what happens. A couple of years ago, there was a HUGE swarm in our tree by the house. At first we were concerned it was Killer Bees (some had been found the next road over). They were honey bees looking for a hive. I called the Beekeeper group and they were interested until I told them it was at the top of the tree (at least 30 feet up). Eventually they moved on. It was neat to watch the swarm change shapes.

They were all gone when I checked today... not sure where they went!
I know a bit late but you could have closed yours up at night and moved them over there the stragglers May have gone in. For future reference if you r planning on moving colonies it is best to close them up at night when they r all in providing ventilation of course and then next morning move them and open :) then there is little chance of that many left behind bees

Back
Top Bottom