Been a fan of BYC for years!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nwfl, Jan 18, 2011.

1. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Yes, I've been viewing BYC for a few years and recently joined. I moved to northwest Florida 12 years ago from Washington, DC. My mother's family were farmers so I had some exposure to livestock and production animals.

I started my own flock after moving to a rural community six years ago. I was diagnosed with two chronic diseases and decided to raise my own food on a larger scale than gardening for health benefits. My husband was nervous but jumped right in to build structures, fences, chores. He caught on really quick to doing chicken chores for a man who grew up in DC and had never been near a live chicken. I've had a mixed laying flock of no more than 24 chickens half EEs. It blew the minds of my family and friends when chickens Im going to raise chickens.

I have customers for eggs, meat, and livebirds. I've bred an large EE roo with two large orps for a meat flock to serve some customers. The chicks resulting from these matings looked like mutt Delawares and New Hampshires which worked out very well, fast growing large birds. At the request of some people I added Pekin ducks to my service. My EE roo has three EE hens in now for replacement layers. I ordered Welsumers, and more Buff Orps, to make a new larger laying flock and adopted a breeding trio of silkies.

I plan on concentrating on these 5 breeds for laying and meat production from now on. We plan on continuing keeping this operation small beause it is still tidy and manageable.

Thanks for all of the support, wisdom and helpful topics BYC!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

What too you so long!!!!! [​IMG] You are just as bad as me when I signed up BYC a long time ago LOL!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. We hear ya, keeping it small. [​IMG]

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] from San Diego!! Bet you have a lot to offer US!! [​IMG]

5. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    [​IMG] from Indiana [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio