Been a week since that first egg...

ladyj02

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2016
Topeka, Kansas
One of my RIR girls (now almost 20 weeks) laid her first egg last week but there has been nothing since! They do free range a couple of times a week for a few hours in the evening but only under supervision and I watch closely because my neighbor has a curious cat. Other than that they are almost always in the run. I just really don't think there's a hidden nest. Plus my husband mowed the other day and didn't find anything out in the yard. What the heck gives?! After the first couple of days I kinda just figured her body was still getting used to things, but a week with nothing? I'm starting to think someone played a mean trick on me and that egg was put there to tease me.

That is a long time between eggs for most hens but not unheard of. That would be a funny trick to play on someone though. That pretty young age for most RIR to start laying. Hopefully the next one comes soon.

We have a RiR that's about the same age when she first started laying. Got a single small egg, then nothing for about a week, then another single egg. Then found a couple of shell-less eggs. Now have 3 girls that are acting like they're laying....red combs, squatting, egg songs, and frequenting the nest boxes.

Checked again just now as I left for work pretty early today. Still nothing. Bent down to pick her up to give her a little pep-talk and when I did, she squatted really low and shook her butt. She's never done that before! Hopefully our little chat we had will do the trick. I sweetened her up with a few meal worms too. :)

Back
Top Bottom