Been lurking for years, time to join

Teejay407

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, I've been keeping chickens a few years now. They are like family. However, I've had my challenges.
we currently have a dozen or so chickens
Easter eggers, silkie crosses, golden comets, buff orpington, a beautiful Ayem Cemini rooster named BB
I'm a network administrator and computer guy by trade, but I hunt, fish, and have goats, chickens, cats, dogs
Decided to join because I've been using this forum for information fo years. I'm struggling right now with the loss of a hen this morning and hope to get some advice.

Dot, then hen we buried today, we noticed yesterday her comb flopped and was shriveling, she was walking funny and keeping away from the rest of the flock. She felt light and wasn't eating, three days prior she laid and egg and was healthy. Swollen abdomen.. No sign of egg bind. So we used an 18 guage needle to drain some of the fluid off last night. She seemed to be doing a little better and ate some before bed last night. This morning she was in rough shape and my wife held her and kept her comfortable till she passed.
I've lost a lot of chickens in the past couple years. hawks, foxes, sour crop, injuries, sudden death, scaly mites and now this one had water belly. Sometimes I wonder if I should give up. I've built new coops, secured runs, stopped the free ranging in the yard, done just about everything this forum and the chicken chick say to do and still lose them. Sometimes it's tough to take.

Back
Top Bottom