been treating for bumble foot, need a little advice

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
So, i bought my chickens almost 2 months ago. 18 days ago I happen to look them over and found that both my 12 month old black orpington's have a case of bumble-foot. Penelope's are the worse so That's the picture's I have .
Day 1 we removed the leather like covering checked for hard area's, found none and soaked in hot Epsom salt water with 1 tbs bleach- every other day, gave 1st pen C shot 1/4 cc and covered the wound.
Day 2,3,4 shots with soaks ever other day.
days 5-9 soaked every other day.
Day 10-14 repeated with the shot going up to 1/2 cc.
In these shots the swelling is down, none between the toes.
How long do I continue to soak, and cover the wound?
I've done 2 series of pen. shots 4 days each, 10 days apart, given in breast alternating sides.

Last edited:
Are the pictures current or at the beginning of the treatment?

If they are current, you might want to try Tricide Neo https://www.pondrx.com/products/16166.html It worked for my girls a year ago. It is a fish cure, but it seems to work on chickens, too. If you search this forum for Tricide-neo you will find more information than you probably want.

I sent the following info to another member a few days ago:

"I used 1.5 Tablespoon of the Tri-cide neo powder to 2 qt. of distilled water. You can half it if you are only dealing with one chicken.

It will keep and be re-usable for 5 days. Then you have to dump it and make new.

I kept it in a cool (not cold) area in the garage between uses.

I put enough in a cake pan to cover their feet and put the pan in my kitchen sink. They were willing to stand in the water for a while, and when they got bored, I fed them bites of bread. there are directions for the fish on the package, but I think I soaked their feet for 10 minutes morning and evening. I did the surgery first (with the help of my wildlife management educated daughter), but I didn't get out much in the way of a kernel or head from most of them. I kept the feet wrapped during the day and then after the evening soak, I put them up on the roost (unwrapped). I did keep the roosts clean -- it is a staph infection, after all.

when I left after two weeks for a planned trip to my daughter's in Reno, my husband (who really didn't want to soak feet), sprayed down their feet while they were on the roost with Vetericyn in the evening after they settled. the Vetericyn was the "wound treatment" stuff that was "liquid" and not thick -- they look the same but the formulation isn't the same. I got it at a local farm store.

something worked. The Deleware that had one foot involved is completely clear. The Golden Campine that had both feet with minor infections (didn't do any surgery on her, just soaked) cleared up completely. The EE still has signs of it on one foot in the form of a small thin scab, but she is laying and not in pain, so I'm not hasseling her. She was in the worst shape. Her feet were quite swollen and that is how I found the problem in the first place."

Sharol
So, i bought my chickens almost 2 months ago. 18 days ago I happen to look them over and found that both my 12 month old black orpington's have a case of bumble-foot. Penelope's are the worse so That's the picture's I have .
Day 1 we removed the leather like covering checked for hard area's, found none and soaked in hot Epsom salt water with 1 tbs bleach- every other day, gave 1st pen C shot 1/4 cc and covered the wound.
Day 2,3,4 shots with soaks ever other day.
days 5-9 soaked every other day.
Day 10-14 repeated with the shot going up to 1/2 cc.
In these shots the swelling is down, none between the toes.
How long do I continue to soak, and cover the wound?
I've done 2 series of pen. shots 4 days each, 10 days apart, given in breast alternating sides.

The Pictures are from yesterday after 18 days of treatment. I will try the fish treatment, can I get it at a well stocked pet store? My garage is not cool at the monment, another Idea for storing? or can I put it in the frig and set it out before use to come to room temp? or put it in a cool bedroom??

I don't really have any answers for you. It might be available somewhere, but I couldn't find it locally (in KS) and I called all over Kansas City and Topeka. The Pondrix people shipped immediately and I had it in 2 days from the day I ordered. I called them, and they were really nice to work with. I got the 5 gallon size because I wasn't sure how much I would need and then mixed it a half gallon or a quart at a time by measuring the powder. It isn't cheap, but it goes a long way. I hope I don't need it again, but there is a bunch left if I do.

AS far as the storage, is the house airconditioned? If so, that should be fine. I kept it in the back of the basement (well sort of, we have an unused area in our full-contact berm house) at about 75 degrees. I would think the frig would work fine for it. Just shake it up before you put it in the soaking pan.

Sharol
The Pictures are from yesterday after 18 days of treatment. I will try the fish treatment, can I get it at a well stocked pet store? My garage is not cool at the monment, another Idea for storing? or can I put it in the frig and set it out before use to come to room temp? or put it in a cool bedroom??

I saw the distilled water in the link--thanks for that- I will be ordering the product, maybe if my tropical fish every get sick , I'll be prepared. Any other disease or animals it works for? how did anyone figure out to use this for chicken's?

That's a good question. I always wonder how people figured this stuff out. No others that I know of, but who knows, if it works on staph maybe there are potentials out there of other use.

Sharol
I saw the distilled water in the link--thanks for that- I will be ordering the product, maybe if my tropical fish every get sick , I'll be prepared. Any other disease or animals it works for? how did anyone figure out to use this for chicken's?

Sharol,
I ordered the tricide-neo, and looked up and read BYC links related to it, the use suggestion came from a avian vet. Also, now know to wear gloves and eye protection--can last 2 weeks mixed--if not fouled! I ordered the 1 gal size-- here's to foot washes before treatment and praying no one poos in the bath, lol. do I continue the soaks until the sores are gone? or soak so many days and recheck, and resoak if needed?
Penelope has a sore I've been treating on her keel bone, rather wide, the scab seems to have a couple of layers to it, looks like brown bag paper/but thinner--think I could treat with this also? I have been putting on triple antibodic when I rebandage her feet--she come with this also and we made sure after finding it that the roost is wide enough. Looking up slings next, and who said chicken keeping was easy?? I'm so glad we thought to do a whole body check--I never would have known about their feet, and I did not find the keel bone scab until I soaked her the 1st time. What's amazing is she does not even flinch when we give the pencillin shot, my doctor has to convince me to get a shot as the nurse blocks the door.

Last edited:
I hear you about shots. I cringe just thinking about it.

I don't know about the scab thing. MIght not be a bad idea. Maybe someone will have a better idea. Anyone???
Sharol,
I ordered the tricide-neo, and looked up and read BYC links related to it, the use suggestion came from a avian vet. Also, now know to wear gloves and eye protection--can last 2 weeks mixed--if not fouled! I ordered the 1 gal size-- here's to foot washes before treatment and praying no one poos in the bath, lol. do I continue the soaks until the sores are gone? or soak so many days and recheck, and resoak if needed?
Penelope has a sore I've been treating on her keel bone, rather wide the scab seems to have a couple of layers to it, looks like brown beg paper/but thinner--think I could treat with this also? I have been putting on triple antibodic when I rebandage her feet--she come with this also and we made sure after finding it that the roost is wide enough. Looking up slings next, and who said chicken keeping was easy?? I'm so glad we thought to do a whole body check--I never would have known about their feet, and I did not find the keel bone scab until I soaked her the 1st time. What's amazing is she does not even flinch when we give the pencillin shot, my doctor has to convince me to get a shot as the nurse blocks the door.

Back
Top Bottom