Been visiting this site for years, finally joined!

Nichola Farms

Chirping
Oct 4, 2023
Northeast Alabama
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Loved chickens and really all animals from a young age. Begged my parents for years and was finally allowed to acquire one single hen after proving I could take care of it through caring for a few pigeons and doves. It wasn't long before I had proven myself and was allowed to get more, especially when they saw how much joy I was having caring for them. Since then there's only been a few times that I haven't had them, when I lived in locations with not enough room or strict rules.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
These days my family and I live on and run a farm. We raise show chickens, and also have a flock for pets. Our pet chickens number 10 birds. Our show/for sale chickens number around 30 at any given time. Any chickens in this category that don't get adopted out are given away to chicken lovers that have no interest in showing them but want birds for pets.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Our pet chickens (all hens) include: 1 Light Brahma, 2 Salmon Faverolles, 2 Ameraucanas (one buff, one white), 1 Old English Bantam, 1 ISO Red (Red Sex Link), 2 Dominiques, and 1 Barred Rock Cochin (standard not Bantam).
Our show/for sale chickens vary over the months but as of this posting we have: Light Brahmas, Buff Brahmas, Ameraucanas, Crested Cream Legbars, Barred Rock Cochins (standards), Buff Orpington Cochins (standards), Birchen Cochins (bantams), and Partridge Cochins (bantams).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Our chickens are part of our family, we love them as much as any of our other pets and pride ourselves on giving them the best possible environment to live their lives in. A lot of people would consider that we spoil our animals, but we do what feels right and what makes our animals happy. The joy we get from seeing our animals happy in turn makes us happy. And of course, there's the added benefit of the fresh eggs everyday!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
We raise other animals as well, run a Youtube channel (@BRadShorts), and like to travel.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our other animals include: a goat, a potbelly pig, 3 dogs, a cat, geese, ducks, turkeys, pigeons, doves (ringnecks and diamonds), quail (tuxedos, pharaohs, and buttons), parakeets, rabbits, a turtle, a koi pond, and a saltwater aquarium (damsels, clownfish, and inverts).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Been visiting this website for years, using it for research to answer questions and to hear other people's stories and ideas. After realizing the amount of knowledge we've acquired over years we thought it would be a good idea to share that information with others, considering how much we've used the website in the past, if we can add to that knowledge base ourselves then we're giving something back to the website we've used for so long.

Last edited:
Loved chickens and really all animals from a young age. Begged my parents for years and was finally allowed to acquire one single hen after proving I could take care of it through caring for a few pigeons and doves. It wasn't long before I had proven myself and was allowed to get more, especially when they saw how much joy I was having caring for them. Since then there's only been a few times that I haven't had them, when I lived in locations with not enough room or strict rules.

These days my family and I live on and run a farm. We raise show chickens, and also have a flock for pets. Our pet chickens number 10 birds. Our show/for sale chickens number around 30 at any given time. Any chickens in this category that don't get adopted out are given away to chicken lovers that have no interest in showing them but want birds for pets.

Our pet chickens (all hens) include: 1 Light Brahma, 2 Salmon Faverolles, 2 Ameraucanas (one buff, one white), 1 Old English Bantam, 1 ISO Red (Red Sex Link), 2 Dominiques, and 1 Barred Rock Cochin (standard not Bantam).
Our show/for sale chickens vary over the months but as of this posting we have: Light Brahmas, Buff Brahmas, Ameraucanas, Crested Cream Legbars, Barred Rock Cochins (standards), Buff Orpington Cochins (standards), Birchen Cochins (bantams), and Partridge Cochins (bantams).

Our chickens are part of our family, we love them as much as any of our other pets and pride ourselves on giving them the best possible environment to live their lives in. A lot of people would consider that we spoil our animals, but we do what feels right and what makes our animals happy. The joy we get from seeing our animals happy in turn makes us happy. And of course, there's the added benefit of the fresh eggs everyday!

We raise other animals as well, run a Youtube channel (@BRadShorts), and like to travel.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Our other animals include: a goat, a potbelly pig, 3 dogs, a cat, geese, ducks, turkeys, pigeons, doves (ringnecks and diamonds), quail (tuxedos, pharaohs, and buttons), parakeets, rabbits, a turtle, a koi pond, and a saltwater aquarium (damsels, clownfish, and inverts).

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Been visiting this website for years, using it for research to answer questions and to hear other people's stories and ideas. After realizing the amount of knowledge we've acquired over years we thought it would be a good idea to share that information with others, considering how much we've used the website in the past, if we can add to that knowledge base ourselves then we're giving something back to the website we've used for so long.
Welcome to BYC!! :D

So glad you could join! I look forward to reading your posts!

Back
Top Bottom