1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bees are dumb

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DazeGoneBy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    ***PICS as promised on pg. 3 ****

I have heard about how bees are dying out, and so when we see several gathered in our fountain and bird bath, I was happy. Yay for bees! They help pollinate!

Then I noticed they were drowning in the water. So, I started hanging around after I added new water to these fountains to rescue any bees that fell in and were flailing about.

I recently switched out the ivy/berry fake plants I had initially put in the flowerbox under my chicken coop's window. It was decorative only, and I wanted to swtich things up by putting in some brightly-colored flowers.

Now, the bees are all over that planter box. They never land, it's like they are thinking...
    "*Looks* right, but doesn't smell or taste right. Imma try the next flower. Hmm. *Looks* right, but..."

They haven't left yet, and it is going on day #3. They are bothering my son who wants very much to play with chickens but is scared of bees. I guess I'll have to take out my pretty flowers.

I had been happy to do my part to provide water for the bees and hopefully save some of these apparently headed-for-extinction insects. But, you can't save stupid.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Maybe you could plant some REAL flowers, so the bees actually have something to eat?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Make little life rafts for them. [​IMG]

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Bees are dying out??
    Not around here! [​IMG]

6. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Bees need to drink. Put something like a stick in the water so they can crawl down and take a sip.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Your info doesn't indicate what part of the country you're in but here in NJ many places have had precious little water in quite some time. Various creatures are desperate for a drink but can't navigate the few sources they find, yet are forced to try. The bees need a way to get to and from water without drowning in the process.

JJ

8. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    OK, thanks for the tip. I'll put a stick in the water sources for them, but it is usually only a problem when I add new water and the level rises on them unexpectantly.

I have a garden full of flowers on the other side of the house. So, maybe they think I'm trying to trick them with the new fake ones. Just amazed they go by sight and not smell/taste. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Honey bees are attracted to flowers with bright colors, but cannot see red. We've had a honey bee decline around here. I plan on dedicating a part of my pasture to a wildflower section next year.

10. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:They perceive red as black, it isn't that they don't see it. Which is why it is a bad idea to wear red when working hives, since they view black as a threat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by