BEEs Help...

pdsavage

Sussex Monarch
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
NW,Missouri
Ok the bees are back agian makeing hives in my walls,every year they come back.
when we first got them it took years to get rid of them.No expert exterminator would come and spray them,they are considered a natural food source.
This has been going on since 2000 I have had it,I now have 3 new hives in my walls agian.I was looking out side and saw them all over and went around the house and saw them.
we have allready gased em 3 times this summer so far,looks like we will have to agian.
So anyone want some bee's.....or good ideas on how to get rid of em besides throwing gas at em(hubbies idea)...

Last edited:
Call your local beekeeper association for their list of members or beekeepers who do honeybee swarm removals. Or check here, for someone near you who does it. Of course, most will only remove honeybees, for free. And they usually refuse to do "hard to remove" hives. This is the Missouri list of resources.
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208191

But check around and see who can do it. Also, after the bees are removed, hire a good contractor to seal up your openings. Otherwise, it's swarm time and another swarm will quickly find your spot and set up their house keeping. And it's back to square one.

Just a little far for me, or i would come get them.....PLEASE don't kill them. Yes call a beekeeper in your area. Are you sure you got rid of them before. Honey Bees ,even when they swarm leave half the hive behind. All the bees never leave. Hives just split in the spring.

No beekeepers will remove or deal with hives or bees inside structures in the Phoenix area. The pest control folks we have had have always preferred to come at dusk, when all the bees are back in the hive and settled down for the night. Then they have sprayed the entire hive and we have not had any recurring problems until the next year. A special license is required to spray for bees. Also, most of the bees here are Africanized, and my understanding is that the African bees are pretty much everywhere now--the much less aggressive European honeybee is pretty much a thing of the past.

From what one bee sprayer told me several years back, there are several aerial "highways" that bees move on when they migrate or swarm. We just happen to be right on the path of one. It has been a few years since we had a swarm, that year they were settling into several places in the walls. After they sprayed they placed some sort of no-pest strip that is specifically for bees into several cracks and crevasses around the house. Don;t know how long they worked, but I wonder if it was long enough to teach them to look elsewhere for the perfect hive building location.

Quote:
No the african bees are only in a few states, mostly ones near Mexco. Bees swarms don't travel hundreds of miles....so takes years for them to move north. Bees are easy to remove , just set a hive up base of the house. run a tube from their entry into the new hive body. new entry going thru the new hive body. They will move the brood to lower hive, the queen... Any bees left behind will die .

Ok hubby came home and gased em he would not wait.
When the bees first came back in 2000 the sky was black with em,it was like in the movies.
They set up 3 hives and took us years to kick em out,every June they would kick half out.
so a few years ago after contacting lots of people and getting no help hubby took cans of bug bombs tapes to long pols and got rid of em.
But still every year now they try and come back,I hated them being bombed but got tired ever winter the kids getting stung when a bee would get lost in the walls and wind up in the house.
I have spray foam so after they are gone this time im foaming all the spots.

Quote:
No the african bees are only in a few states, mostly ones near Mexco. Bees swarms don't travel hundreds of miles....so takes years for them to move north. Bees are easy to remove , just set a hive up base of the house. run a tube from their entry into the new hive body. new entry going thru the new hive body. They will move the brood to lower hive, the queen... Any bees left behind will die .

Actually the africanized bees don't seem to be able to colonize colder areas, because they have to forage year round, and they can't where there's a 'real' winter.

In most areas beekeepers will do removals, please do contact your local beekeeping association and see if someone won't come and take them. You also have to check the outside of your house and figure out why it's so attractive to the bee scouts when they're swarming (that's what they do, they send out scouts who find the new home, then the scouts go back to the swarm and everyone gets up and moves). Fix the siding on the side of your house, plug all holes, and get rid of the honeycomb in your walls - that will attract them, if they find condos ready to move into, they're going to come back!

Quote:

Actually the africanized bees don't seem to be able to colonize colder areas, because they have to forage year round, and they can't where there's a 'real' winter.

In most areas beekeepers will do removals, please do contact your local beekeeping association and see if someone won't come and take them. You also have to check the outside of your house and figure out why it's so attractive to the bee scouts when they're swarming (that's what they do, they send out scouts who find the new home, then the scouts go back to the swarm and everyone gets up and moves). Fix the siding on the side of your house, plug all holes, and get rid of the honeycomb in your walls - that will attract them, if they find condos ready to move into, they're going to come back!

No siding; we have block walls; therefore no way to access inside the walls. However, it is in the roofing and ducting that they have mostly built their hives Ducting is relatively easy to clean out, although finding bees inside the dryer was not much fun
ep.gif
. We have a flat roof so there is no means of getting into that short of tearing off the roof or tearing down the ceiling; not planning on spending 4 figures. As I said, they have not swarmed here for a couple of years, and they usually would have by now (seems like spring is when they have previously swarmed). I did try contacting beekeepers the first couple of times--they all said "call pest control."

Back
Top Bottom