Bees in the Feed… What?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hermit, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Hermit

Hermit Songster

Does anyone else have this problem? It looks like they’re trying to gather it up, but I can’t be sure. The chickens aren’t eating when they’re in the pens, now. They’ll only eat when I scatter it while they’re out on the property doing free range. I bought pellets, so hopefully that’ll alter the bee-haviour of the bees and my ladies and two gents can get back to trusting their dishes.
    Sorry for the shaky cam work… I got cruised and it was like having a bullet shoot past my ear. LOL
    (Did I mention I’m deathly allergic and currently out of epipens? But they legitimately don’t bother me like this.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc4y585s6r0ql5m/Video Dec 12, 1 43 11 PM.mov?dl=0

Chickassan likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

They are after moisture, they are thirsty. You can try to draw them away from your feed by hanging a hummingbird feeder filled with sugar water a safe distance from your coop. Your feed will be bee free, but that feeder will be grand central station so place it wisely.;)

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

A couple years back, totally out of the blue, the same thing happened to me. Seems I paid more attention to the honey bees than my birds did. I called a neighboring chicken man, who is also a bee keeper, and he said the bees wouldn't bother the chickens. Said he had hives right in some runs. Also said they'd be gone in a day or two, which they were.

GldnValleyHens and Hermit like this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In times when pollen sources are in short supply there is something about chicken or wild bird feed that attracts honey bees.

Hermit and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They are after protein.
    Are they on your waterer too?

Hermit and sourland like this.
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Agreed. If you look closely you can even see them trying to attach the feed to their hind legs where they carry pollen.

Hermit likes this.
  7. Hermit

Hermit Songster

I AM seeing them try to attach it to their legs, and fail. Found one dead in a waterer, which was placed right beside a feed bowl. I feel so badly for them, they’re clearly desperate!
    I’ll definit put up a sugar water (would honey water be better?) humming bird feeder a ways off where I won’t be in danger of getting bumbled into.
    Do you think putting out a pan of mush feed would be a help for them to overwinter their hives, or a danger? We don’t have any flowers this year, and I can’t get any to grow in time to help them.

Sirens04 likes this.
  8. Hermit

Hermit Songster

Good gravy! Forgot to tell y’all about feeding today! I had to move so slowly and watch my step as they were all over the ground, going after spilled/scratched out feed! I kept getting knocked in the head, had one hover at my ear for so long I started thinking she had a thing for my ear buds (wasn’t going out there with open ears LOL), and found one just clinging to the cuff of my shirt! I let her rest there while I got out a waterer to refill, but good lord was today a test in meditating to overcome fears! LOL

Sirens04 likes this.
  9. GldnValleyHens

GldnValleyHens Songster

Apr 21, 2017
    Illinois
    I had weevils in my organic chicken feed once. I put the bag in the freezer overnight and that took care of things.

10. Sirens04

Sirens04 Songster

Aug 21, 2018
    Northford Connecticut
    Wow good for you for trying to help despite your own risk. I too am allergic but have always loved bees so I do what I can to encourage and support them. You should be commended for sure.:clap

Hermit likes this.
  11. Hermit

Hermit Songster

upload_2018-12-14_12-6-28.png

Sirens04 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: