1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bees in Urban Living

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Big Dreamer, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    I was just wondering if bee keeping in an urban environment would work out. I'm a teen and I go on my roof a lot to escape from my family, and realized there is a lot of unused space up there. So I was planning to have a garden on the roof, and was wondering if it would be possible to keep bees up there. Its a long shot, but I'm up for it! The bees could help pollinate the garden, and from the duck/chicken/bunny fertilizer the garden would flourish, plus the added bonus of the honey. If you need anymore info about the situation just ask!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You should contact Raz, he keeps bees

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a question about bee keeping. I too am interested in bee keeping and I read earlier about neighbors who use pestisides possible bothering the honeybees. Is this something to be concerned about?

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    urban bees are entirely possible!
    you do need to find out if your city / county has any regulations about them - if they can be kept, where, if they have to be a certain distance from other people's houses, etc.

try to find a local bee club, they'll know what's permitted and what isn't, and there's lots of folks in the the bee clubs who are happy to teach and help you with your bees.

pesticides - yes, it can be a problem, but it depends. you want your bees where they're not going to get spray over from the neighbor's yards, and you want to make sure they have a water supply that is fresh and not contaminated by spray. and I don't usually advertise to the neighbors that I have bees, because as soon as you do everyone with a bee phobia will try to make it an issue for you. but don't let these things keep you from looking into keeping them.

find your bee club, start to learn! bees are very cool.

6. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Yes very possible.. there is a store in town that has a hive on their roof. You have to make sure the location on the roof is good for a hive though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

The guy i buy my honey from lives across the street from me and he has an urban mini farm. His bee's are on his roof so yes it is possible. He told me they love it up there and it keeps them out of the way in peoples yards because they tend to stay up there. The only time they come down he said is to pollinate his plants and flowers. He has a great set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by