Beet Pulp Shreds

I toss some whole beets (straight out of the ground) to my chickens once or twice a week. Nobody's died from it, but one of my White Leghorns did get pooped on by somebody with beet-stained poop.

I left some beet pulp and alfalfa pellets soaking in a tub for the horses day before yesterday, and when I came back out to feed it to them an hour later the chickens were just finishing it off. So, I would say yes, you can feed it to them.

LOL, I have a horse who used to be fed beet pulp. Now she is fat and sassy and doesn't need any....

I haven't tried giving it to the chickens yet. I assume in moderation it is probably fine.

Last edited:
I made a sloppy soup of oatmeal, cat food, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp shreds and some sweet feed..........added lots of water, but actually a bit too much. It was a sloppy soup. Chickens ignored it last night but were chomping away at the leftovers this morning. Next batch with have less water but also some starter, scratch and BOSS added in to soak up any leftover water. Makes a nice crop filler
wink.png

My hens are spoiled and run to me for treats. They've had soaked beet pulp and senior equine feed when they show up while I am preparing the horse feed - and gobble them both up! Haven't tried the beet pulp dry...

I to would like to know why all the beet pulp? Is this for canning, cooking? I love beets but can't think how you come to have beet pulp. Always wanting to learn.
idunno.gif
:D

Back
Top Bottom