Begging for bumblefoot?

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
Hello all, looking for advice on where to put my chicken tractor. I currently have it moving around my lawn area (approx 45'x25'), but I'd like to move it to where the kids don't play as much. We have a play structure with wood "playground fiber" as a cushioning base (approx 3" deep), with a good sized section that the kids don't use (30'x20'). The wood fibers are kind of sharp on my feet, but I'm 6'4" and 240lbs (lots of weight coming down on my tootsies!). Would putting chickens in this area be begging for bumblefoot problems? Any other issues I'm not considering? Thanks in advance!

I haven't had any bumblefoot ever. We use all types of substrates. I personally haven't experienced a problem using mulch. I'm not sure what the main determining factor is to bumblefoot. Everything people say causes it we have done. :confused:

Bumblefoot issues I have dealt with appear a function of high concentrations of feces, uneaten feed and chronic high moisture. Periodically moving tractor around should greatly reduce odds of dealing with bumblefoot issues.

Would putting chickens in this area be begging for bumblefoot problems?
Is it possible that they might cut their feet?
Yes.
Is it probable, or guaranteed?
No, I don't think so.

Even if they do cut their feet, will it get infected unto serious bumblefoot?
Again possible, but not probable.

I have ramial wood chippings in run, and large flake pine shavings in coop.
Both can be quite sharp, but haven't had any infected cuts here.

Back
Top Bottom