Begging! Help me save my hen if it's possible

CoffeeintheCoop

Chirping
Nov 11, 2019
East central Illinois, USA
The whole story is well documented in my previous thread from July or August. I don't post often, so I think you can find it, along with tons of pictures, by searching on my username. I spent hours trying to explain the situation in that thread. Elevator summary: A bumblefoot saga (2 hens, 4 feet, no apparent explanation as to why)... with barely anything emerging from any of the wounds. I've cut multiple times and then settled on a sharp tweezers as the best tool since all I cut into was healthy bleeding tissues if I do too much. Recently, I was thrilled to see whitish clear slimy liquid starting to come out of one of the bumblefoot I've been treating for months. (In the other thread, I called it Foot #3. This is an old photo from my first thread so you can see how puffy the pad of her foot is. The wound opening is smaller now, maybe half that size).I thought there was progress with the emergence of this whitish fluid, because I finally had something to remove. I've been pushing from all sides as hard as I can to squeeze out what I can. I maybe get 0.1 cc per day. I've been opening up the scabs every day, but they are getting smaller. I don't think I could pack sugar inside the wound, there is no hole, or empty gap that I can see under the wound opening, but I pour a tiny amount of Betadine into the hole every day and hold it so it soaks in as deeply as possible. I use silver ointment labeled for staph, every day...wrap every day, skin and wound area are clean when I remove wraps, every day...

Now, I return to ask for help again. Now there is heat in this puffy foot (#3) and the heat is spreading up that same leg. Her other foot and leg are cool to the touch. Her foot pad is puffy, soggy and soft but mostly full of tissue that bleeds, rather than dead tissue or pus that can be grabbed and removed. I know the infection is in there, but I don't know where.

I will do what I can to get her to the vet Monday morning but would love any advice before that point. Should I take a chance and cut the swollen areas between her toes from above, (see photo) and see if there is a kernel way up in there? I hate to slice into her perfectly intact skin up there, but that is the only thing I can think of. Should I try to buy some oral antibiotic?

Thank you
AM
IMG_20230806_184653858.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_190511583.jpg
    IMG_20230806_190511583.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
@New duck mommy 2021
@Miss Lydia
@cheezenkwackers
@R2elk

I haven’t yet (knocking on wood) had a bumblefoot issue that requires oral antibiotics.
Hopefully some of the folks I tagged in can help with that part of the question.
I’d think that it would be time for that “drastic” a measure w the heat and swelling spreading up the leg...but im not sure that it would be smart to start something just before getting something from the avain vet ...

Are you doing Epsom salt baths / soaks?
2x daily at the least will really help soften the tissues.
I typically do warm Epsom salt soaks 2-3x daily depending on the severity of the issues.
Let the foot dry, spray w vetricyn, let that dry, add triple antibiotic, and then wrap if possible.
Keep the coop, perches (if applicable), and run as super clean as you possibly can.

All of that is likely to help at least some, and will likely bring her some comfort in the interim, as you are trying to get her thru until Monday.

I think having a vet look at this is best she will probably need an antibiotic. I've had some of my LF hens get bumble but they have been pretty easy to treat doing what @HeritageFan recommends. With yours having swelling and heat this needs more than we can do. You can buy antibiotics online but knowing what would be best to use is the problem. My go to is Baytril.
hopefully @Eggcessive can help. @azygous

Last edited:
@New duck mommy 2021
@Miss Lydia
@cheezenkwackers
@R2elk

I haven’t yet (knocking on wood) had a bumblefoot issue that requires oral antibiotics.
Hopefully some of the folks I tagged in can help with that part of the question.
I’d think that it would be time for that “drastic” a measure w the heat and swelling spreading up the leg...but im not sure that it would be smart to start something just before getting something from the avain vet ...

Are you doing Epsom salt baths / soaks?
2x daily at the least will really help soften the tissues.
I typically do warm Epsom salt soaks 2-3x daily depending on the severity of the issues.
Let the foot dry, spray w vetricyn, let that dry, add triple antibiotic, and then wrap if possible.
Keep the coop, perches (if applicable), and run as super clean as you possibly can.

All of that is likely to help at least some, and will likely bring her some comfort in the interim, as you are trying to get her thru until Monday.
First of all, if this post goes through, please know that I'm having extreme difficulty posting and replying. It's a miracle that anyone even saw my thread.... First of all, thank you to everyone past, present and future. I'm glad I haven't smashed my phone with a hammer yet.

I will try to reply here to everyone. I've done all of the recommended steps. I spent untold hours scouring this forum, YouTube and blogs for advice way back when I posted my original thread here. The only thing is that I work more than 40 hours a week and have 3 hens with bumblefoot, so I'm only soaking her once a day for 15 minutes.

Her foot was really hot tonight, I think worse than last night. Vet opens at 7 am tomorrow so I'll try to take her in before work.

Thank you all. I'll read everything even if I can't respond...

Ann-Marie

Back
Top Bottom