Beginner Advice: 2013 Duck Edition

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Camilla Chicken, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Camilla Chicken

Camilla Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Hi, I thought it would be nice to post this new annual thread. I found alot of help here with chickens and ducks but I had to do alot of digging around. I just thought that this thread would be help to all of the beginners out there that dont want to do all of the digging around that I had to do.I was thinking that the BYC elders could post daily advice and tips,also anyone could post any questions that they have. I would post a duck breed of the week every week i can.

This weeks breed is:
    The Bali!

Photo:
    [​IMG]

About the breed: Uses: Exhibition, Utility: eggs.
    Eggs: 140 to 200 Blue to Green Eggs.
    Origin: Bali, East of Java.
    Weight: Drake: 2.3 Kg, Duck: 1.8 Kg.
    Classification: Light.
    Colours: Brown, Wild Mallard and White.
    Useful to Know: The gene that creates the crest is believed to be lethal when identical alleles of the gene are present on both chromosomes so outcrossing to plain headed birds is recommended. 50% of the offspring will have crests. Bali ducks are active ducks, like Indian Runners.

(Info from poultrykeeper.com to read the full paragraph go to

http://poultrykeeper.com/duck-breeds/bali-ducks )

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    My tip of the day is to buy a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, by Dave Holderread.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You know my best one? don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they sound dumb, heck some days i ask dumb questions lol but really were always learning no matter how many ducks we have or for how long. The point of this place is to share, inform and hopefully provide help for those of us who keep poultry in general. [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I AGREE!!!!!

And research first, that way you know, at least basic care info, and don't need to ask, what now, I just bought some ducklings?

Read the stickies too. That is the area that is supposed to be used to provide quick access to important info.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by