Beginner Coop Designs?

It's the stinking sheet goods at $65/ea. Maybe I don't go conventional and make the spacing of studs bigger than 16 OC. They are running almost $7/ea, and I need a ton of those

I'm holding out for some used/spare goods from facebook and such. I have a week before the chicks hatch and a few weeks after that before they will need the coop. Who knows, maybe prices will drop more by then. 😆

I like the hoop coop for the simplicity. We may actually start with that and turn it into the run when we build a wooden coop. IDK, who would have thought chickens were so much trouble BEFORE they are born!! Lol

It's the stinking sheet goods at $65/ea. Maybe I don't go conventional and make the spacing of studs bigger than 16 OC. They are running almost $7/ea, and I need a ton of those

I'm holding out for some used/spare goods from facebook and such. I have a week before the chicks hatch and a few weeks after that before they will need the coop. Who knows, maybe prices will drop more by then. 😆

I like the hoop coop for the simplicity. We may actually start with that and turn it into the run when we build a wooden coop. IDK, who would have thought chickens were so much trouble BEFORE they are born!! Lol

I built at 24" on center for my studs. I used pallets for the floor framing and that let me use 1/2" plywood for the decking on the floor. It was a bit of a pain getting the pallets the right size for my needs but it worked.

Look for companies in your area that sell salvaged and slightly damaged building materials. I have found siding at some and metal roofing. It saved me a ton of money.

Shed siding here has gone up too. It's about $45 a sheet now. Maybe there are options you haven't seen yet.....

I look in the cull bin at my Home Depot every time I go. Yes those things can be warped and damaged but often there are pieces in there that I can cut off the bad part and still have a nice sized usable piece. I see sheet goods in there too not just 2x4's.

Keep watching craigslist and freecycle for sheds, lumber, anything else usable.

I would definitely make a to scale drawing on graph paper along with a parts list so as you gather things whether new or used you have a plan and not just random things.

our studs are 16 OC. for the siding we used T1-11 sheets which were recommended here by a lot of people. I got them at Lowes for $45 a sheet. Where we had an 8x8 we used 6 sheets. for the wall facing the run we used scraps that were left from the other sheets which helped us out.

What about modifying something like this to be a lean to? maybe it would bring the cost down? https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/4x8-backyard-chicken-coop-plans/ This was the basic plan we used but made it bigger and put in more ventilation in the soffits since this didn't have it

our studs are 16 OC. for the siding we used T1-11 sheets which were recommended here by a lot of people. I got them at Lowes for $45 a sheet. Where we had an 8x8 we used 6 sheets. for the wall facing the run we used scraps that were left from the other sheets which helped us out.

What about modifying something like this to be a lean to? maybe it would bring the cost down? https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/4x8-backyard-chicken-coop-plans/ This was the basic plan we used but made it bigger and put in more ventilation in the soffits since this didn't have it

I like that those plans are very detailed.

I also used T1-11 sheet siding. It is inexpensive as far as siding goes and does the job.

Yea, I must not be very good at planning these things, priced the materials for a hoop coop, still coming in around $1200...
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'm trying to do a mix between Chook-a-holic and Ms Biddys designs.

Hello and welcome.

You're wise to be suspicious of the prefab coops. They're almost all flimsy and undersized. Rule of thumb -- if it looks like a dollhouse it's only suited for toy chickens. :)

In the city your main predators will be stray dogs, raccoons, potentially coyotes, rats, and potentially humans. Your plans look good for that purpose.

Since each adult hen needs,

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
~1/4 of a nest box
and 1 square foot of ventilation (ideally located above the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost), for 6 you will need,

24 square feet in the coop -- 6x4
60 square feet in the run -- 6x10 or 8x8 (more practical given that building materials are sold in multiples of 4 feet).
6 linear feet of roost,
2 nest boxes,
and 6 square feet of ventilation.

Since you're restricted on time and building from scratch always takes longer than you think it will, would a small shed to convert and a dog kennel for the run suit you?

I'd suggest a hoop coop for ease and speed of construction, but they're not always welcome aesthetically in an urban area.

You're in a moderate climate with hot summers and cold winters but not truly extreme either direction, right?
I have almost the same things for 5 birds and they love it. they love to run around and get all their energy off before dusk.

OK, I'll stop reviving this post soon, it'll be build time this weekend.
I found an article that mentioned you shouldn't have a dirt floor in a coop, it makes cleaning out the bedding harder and makes it easier for rats/mice to get in. but a hoop coop is a dirt floor... so, how is it working out for you hoop coopers?

Back
Top Bottom