Beginner Ducks

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
What would be a good first time duck? My wife wants a white pekin. But dont know if that would be a good first duck. I am looking at getting at least 3 ducks to add to my growing flock of chickens.

Speaking of which would I be able to brood my ducks in with my chicks or would I need a separate brooder for the ducks.

I wanted ducks that could live out on my pond, not in the coop where they foul the feed and water. The only breed I've found that's been able to survive the coyotes, foxes, and coons are mallards. Muscovy might also work, because they can fly too.

If you have a safe place to keep them, anything that's crested is just adorable. Can't tell you how many kids (and adults) commented on our "ducks with Afros."

I brood ducks in a separate container because they grow so much faster than the chicks, they run over everything in their path, and they splash water everywhere. It makes it really hard to keep the chicks dry if they're all together.

Hint: If you add marbles or rocks to the base of the waterer, the ducks can still get a drink, but don't have enough water to "play" in.

Kathy in Texas

16541_ducks2.gif

16541_ducks1.gif

16541_ducks.gif

I have some Buff ducks and I brood them with the chickens and they stay in the coop with them. They have been a good first duck breed for me and they are good layers. I also have fertile buff duck eggs if you are interested. Hope this helps. Thanks, Justin.

Let me clarify a bit. I am planning on building them their own run and small pond on the side of the barn with their own duck house to live in. I was just wondering about brooding them together till they can go outside.

Also will the hatchery ship baby ducks in with the chicks, to help me get to the minimum order?

Quote:
Nevermind I answered my own question. How I missed this the first time I read through their site I dont know

No minimum on turkeys, ducks, or geese if shipped with other birds to make the 15 total minimum chicks ordered.​

Almost any breed will be fine for a beginner. If you don't want to have to clip wings to keep them from flying away, don't get Muscoveys or Mallards.

If you want lots of eggs, get Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequins, or Runners.

As long as you handle them and play with them from day one, they'll be friendly.

Back
Top Bottom