Beginner question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by callieriggs, Nov 16, 2015.

1. callieriggs

callieriggs Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Total beginner question here. We have a Polish tophat and she can't see well (obviously). We like to let the girls out of their coop and run because it is pretty small. Can we trim back her feathers to give her some better vision? Wasn't sure if this would be cruel or if it would even help.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, many people trim head feathers so that the birds have better vision. Just be careful that they are not pin feathers.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It will help. She'll still be vulnerable to predators unless you shave her head which I wouldn't do.

4. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    [​IMG]
    No it wouldn't be cruel at all. It would give her a new perspective on life! :)
    Feathers do not have any feeling in them, just the roots (like your hair). Be careful not to trim pin feathers; those contain blood.

5. callieriggs

callieriggs Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Thinking we may try a trim this weekend. Are pin feathers the ones that aren't all the way out of their sheath? Also, cat I trim the top of a pin feather if I am right about what one is or should I steer clear of all of them? Thanks for all the help. Love our girls and want poor Felicity to be able to see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by