Beginner Questions on Free Ranging vs. Run

StaceyK16

Hatching
Aug 4, 2021
Honolulu, HI
New to the world of backyard chickens and would appreciate any advice here!
I will be adopting 2 pullets (olive egger and speckled sussex) in the next few weeks and am in process of figuring out their living quarters. My biggest concerns are (1) their happiness and (2) the smell--I have a neighbor who is very sensitive about this.
I purchased a prefab'd coop (2'x4') and run (8'x3') with a plywood base. I would like to give the girls some extra space exposed to grass/dirt, so I'm considering adding on a wire fence pen (~4'x5'). The coop/run have a roof, but the pen would be open underneath a tangerine tree. Are there any recommendations to how to avoid smells in both the coop/run and pen areas with only 2 chickens?
I'm also wondering if it's ok to keep them in these areas 24/7, or if they will go stir-crazy? I'm opposed to free ranging as I have a low fence + a neighbor with an aggressive dog and cats, and my yard is on a steep slope and want to avoid runoff going into my neighbor's property.
I live in Hawaii; daytime temps average in the high 70s, and 60% humidity. My area also sees about 200 days of (light) rain per year.

:welcome

The coop and run should be just big enough for the two. Of course it's still a good idea to add to the run. Be sure to check the ventilation on the coop...prefabs are known to lack ventilation.
Yes, thank you! I just purchased a hole saw to create several more vent holes as you're right, there was only one window on one side and I know that's not enough.

Sounds like enough space, frequent cleaning will help with the smell.

Keep in mind that I moved to the country to get away from complaining people, but the question in my mind is: How does the neighbor who is already worried about imagined smells feel about the scent of the existing dog poop?

Hope all goes well. Good move on figuring out how to add ventilation and on wanting the girls to have plenty of space.

Sounds like enough space, frequent cleaning will help with the smell.

Keep in mind that I moved to the country to get away from complaining people, but the question in my mind is: How does the neighbor who is already worried about imagined smells feel about the scent of the existing dog poop?

Hope all goes well. Good move on figuring out how to add ventilation and on wanting the girls to have plenty of space.
I really like the way you turned it around with the dog poop thing. That’s using your noggin!

In this set up, with that neighbor, I would set up a poop board. Most of the poop will pile up under the roost. You might need to adjust the roost, in coops like these that I have seen, the roost is very low.

Removing the poop daily and putting it in a sealed container will help with smell and flies. As for daytime poop - DRY is best. For me that is easy, I have sandy soil, and arid conditions, if you have high humidity, you might need very loose bedding, and scoop it out each day.

Do not add more chickens, that is a tiny set up.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom