1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

beginner questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mytwogirls, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mytwogirls

mytwogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    greenbrier, tn
    Should I wait till spring to buy my chickens so I can avoid the winter weather? and I think I won't rhode island reds. Which breed will be the best egg producers? thanks

2. buglit

buglit Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    I guess when to order is also one of my questions as well (you all convinced me)

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Try the henderson chicken chart:
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

It would probably be best to wait at least one more month to get chicks. Most hatcheries are just starting to hatch them now so they don't have much selection anyway. Unless you go for some rare breed that sells out quickly there's no real reason not to wait.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I would place the order before the end of February if you are just wanting Rhode Island Reds. Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Brahmas and Delawares are other breeds to consider as they lay well also. You could mix it up and get an assortment, they would be very pretty together.

5. mytwogirls

mytwogirls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    greenbrier, tn
    Thanks for the chart that is pretty cool and informative.

6. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I would order now & beat the spring rush, you can always pick when you want them to deliver. If you are getting common breeds & not very many you may just want to check with your feed store & see what they are planning on bringing in & reserve some through them.

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Another way to get chicks is to call your local Tractor Supply Co. & find out what breeds they'll carry & when they'll arrive at the store. They normally order chicks from some of the popular hatcheries. I'd call TSC now though. Of course, you can always order straight from a hatchery. Just a thought. [​IMG]

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I ordered more chickens last week so I could still get the selection I wanted. I requested a March 23rd shipping date to avoid the really cold weather. Last year I did the same thing and ordered March 21st. After 6 weeks they were fully feathered and able to go outside in the coop and all the snow was gone.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'd order in the early spring, say Marchish. As for breeds, our EEs, Red Star, and Australorp are best for eggs and temprament...

10. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    We got some RIRs last spring from Co-op. Seeing your in Tn too, you could call them and find out if they are getting any and when. Ours are great layers. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by