Beginner's Hatch-A-Long

it could be oodles of different reasons...

but with me in the past when i have had that happen, it is because the chick was set up incorrectly. So, when the chick was ready to pip, it didn't pip into the air pocket, and instead drowned. :(

Super sad to see such a perfect chick that didn't make it.

Because of stuff like that, i haven't hatched any myself for years, can't stand the deaths that seem to always happen.

But I am going to try again I think Monday or Tuesday.

Congrats on the rest of your new flock!
Okay, thanks for the tip and good luck if you do!

Could it have been something I could have prevented for future hatchings (turn egg more, set up differently, etc.)
Also my humidity was REALLY high though the whole incubation, but anytime I openned the vent my still air incubator (purchased not made) would drop temp so I ended up leaving them closed.
Drowing is my worst fear in the world, so that makes me sad the baby had to go through that
hit.gif

I was having such issues with temp and humidity I was surprised anything hatched really, so I guess 11 chicks is good. The ones I opened that never started developing was no big deal, but the fully developed ones was heart breaking!

Any tips on telling gender???
This is my first hatch, and in the past I've always ordered day old sexed pullets (besides silkies which they don't sex, but I seem to always get roos!) Over the past year I've had 4 pullets turn out to really be cockerals and I could tell by the quickly developing comb and wattles and color. Also the feathers change in the males.
My silkie I knew was a roo by about 4 months based on personality and at 5 months he started crowing.

I've heard a lot of things on telling gender, one being their posture if the chicks stand up almost straight and always have their neck stretched out. If this is the case, I have 10 roos and only one possible pullet!!!!!
I also know that pullets are supposed to get tail feathers first, but this isn't always the case and I have several different breeds as it was a mixed batch of eggs so I hate comparing them to each other.
I've also heard to watch the feet and legs, but in mine that were cockerals I didn't really notice a difference in those until about 5-6 months when all the other signs were there. My chicks also seem quite aggressive.

I have heard cockerals are "hardier" chicks so now I'm fearing with all the humidity and temp issues that arose all the way I just hatched all boys!!!!

Anyone have tips other than what I mentioned to help me figure this out. I can't keep any roosters, so the sooner I know the better. I hate raising to 6 months then having to give away and who knows if the people really care for them or eat them!

Sorry, dutchbunny, but what you listed is all I know as well. I think all chicks stand up and stretch out, especially when they first hatch (cramped up for at least a day, I would stretch too!), so I would recommend looking through the different sexing tips in each breeds thread. That's what I'm planning to do. I have RIR crosses, Wyandottes, and EEs. The only ones I have experience with now are Speckled Sussex and the EEs, so I've got some learning to do!

Hey everyone~!

I'm excited to start posting about my Blue Ameraucana babies soon! I'll post a video of when they start hatching and maybe some candling pictures when I take a look on day 14 and 18!

They were put in the incubator May 16th and are due around June 6th! I cant wait to introduce my first babies into the world and hope to share my experiences with the rest of you!

Okay, thanks for the tip and good luck if you do!

Could it have been something I could have prevented for future hatchings (turn egg more, set up differently, etc.)
Also my humidity was REALLY high though the whole incubation, but anytime I openned the vent my still air incubator (purchased not made) would drop temp so I ended up leaving them closed.

From what I understand, the two things to help make sure that the baby is oriented CORRECTLY are
1. the egg, when sitting flat on it's side, should have the large round end slightly higher than the smaller pointy end
2. the last few days of hatch you do not turn them at all so the chicks can set their position better

The humidity is supposed to be pretty high at the end (not so high at the beginning)

I was just reading on one of the incubator sites, that new research has shown that you actually *IMPROVE* your hatch if there is a cool down once a day. I guess that is supposed to mimic when the hen gets off the nest to eat and drink. So, next time, if you wanted to once a day, open the vents to let the humidity drop a bit, it might actually improve your hatch.

Drowing is my worst fear in the world, so that makes me sad the baby had to go through that
hit.gif

I was having such issues with temp and humidity I was surprised anything hatched really, so I guess 11 chicks is good. The ones I opened that never started developing was no big deal, but the fully developed ones was heart breaking!
I am TOTALLY with you! It just breaks my heart! I hate it hate it!

I just can't believe I am about to put myself through it once again.... but I really want the chicks! So, I simply keep reminding myself that I am going to get some wonderful chicks, and the horrid part will at least be over soon.

Hey everyone~!

I'm excited to start posting about my Blue Ameraucana babies soon! I'll post a video of when they start hatching and maybe some candling pictures when I take a look on day 14 and 18!

They were put in the incubator May 16th and are due around June 6th! I cant wait to introduce my first babies into the world and hope to share my experiences with the rest of you!
What a great delicate blue!

When you said "Blue Americauna" did you mean that the chickens are Blue, or that you got Americaunas with really great blue eggs?

I think the blue color is one of the prettiest, and I still don't have any of that color!

I am new to this! 10 days ago I put 4 eggs from my hens ( not sure what the rooster is with golden comets) My friend who also has a mixed flocked gave me 10 of her eggs. I don't know what I am looking for, only what you tube has shown. But I did see tiny little dots today! So I guess I am doing something right. My humidity ran a little high at first which concerns me, I had to throw out one today because it was smelling bad, and I think I might have one that has a blood ring around it I am not sure. I am going to be double checking everything again in a few days. If everything goes as planed I am hoping to purchase some different kind of eggs to add to our flock.

I am new to this! 10 days ago I put 4 eggs from my hens ( not sure what the rooster is with golden comets) My friend who also has a mixed flocked gave me 10 of her eggs. I don't know what I am looking for, only what you tube has shown. But I did see tiny little dots today! So I guess I am doing something right. My humidity ran a little high at first which concerns me, I had to throw out one today because it was smelling bad, and I think I might have one that has a blood ring around it I am not sure. I am going to be double checking everything again in a few days. If everything goes as planed I am hoping to purchase some different kind of eggs to add to our flock.

It is all very exciting! Some times mixed breed chickens are even more fun, since they come out in so many different colors!

What a great delicate blue!

When you said "Blue Americauna" did you mean that the chickens are Blue, or that you got Americaunas with really great blue eggs?

I think the blue color is one of the prettiest, and I still don't have any of that color!

The breed is called "Blue Ameraucana" :)

Although, the color could be applied to the eggs as well! Now that I'm starting a flock of my own, I took a long time to decide what breed I wanted. When I found out about this breed, not only was I interested in how the birds looked (They're quite beautiful), I really was captivated by the egg color!

The chickens do look kinda blue though, dont they?

Back
Top Bottom