Beginning a small flock in NH, questions...

skibba

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
New Hampshire
My wife and I are completely new to the world of raising chickens. I have done plenty of research so i am off to a good start. The pictures below are where i am to date. I have the coop which will have another door and a window soon, the nesting boxes and roost have been added since i took these pics. it is completely wired with a timer light inside and a motion sensor light outside. The fence outside it 4ft tall and i have chicken wire that i will be adding to the bottom to create an apron. I have electric fencing from my adjacent garden that i will be adding to the top and bottom of the fence. I will also be stringing up a "web" above the fencing to discourage hawks. Below and beside the coop will be a completely enclosed pen of hardware cloth so the birds can have a safe area if we aren't able to let them out into their yard. We only plan on having 5 birds so the square footage is ample. The question i have is what am i missing? We are getting the chicks in the spring so i have all winter to make the necessary preparations. Any helpful ideas would be great. Everything has also been made from reclaimed materials so i would like to keep it along those lines (only $150 into it for the coop and fencing and waterer). Thanks!

You'll probably need drainage in the run area for when it rains or snow melts. The chickens will ruin any grass or weeds, causing a muddy run. Unless you have the run on a bit of a slope. There are many options for water run off. Use hanging feeder and water, keeps them off it and a little cleaner.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Here I am thinking wow, organised! And you ask what's missing LOL There is some articles in the Learning Center on coop and run maintenance, including an article on using sand in the run (for wet climates it's ideal) and also a couple of articles on the most common chicken predators and how to protect your flock against them, though by the sounds of things, you've got a pretty secure arrangement going already! Enjoy your chicken adventures and keep us posted!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png
- love to see people think ahead and learn from other's mistakes, rather than having to make their own.

I really like the heavy-duty poultry netting over my runs, found some smaller pieces on ebay, and they have been well worth the price.

Thanks for the ideas! The window will open on hinges with hardware cloth on the inside for ventilation in the summer and there will be a small door open to their run in the winter, hoping that will be enough air movement.

Back
Top Bottom