Beginning coop construction...

beautifulpirate

Chirping
Mar 10, 2016
I wanted to post here so we can semi- documentthe process. I've spent the better part of a couple months researching what chickens need in regards to their coop and run, in order for them to be safe, healthy and happy. I started out sketching design ideas. And the more I learned, the more those sketches changed. I've had a few drafts before this point. I'm the daughter of a carpenter so have been the head of he design and instructing my husband how we will build. He is in charge of the power tools and heavy lifting haha. I suspect we are over building and it isn't cheap but like I said, daughter of a carpenter. I couldn't justify not doing it the best that we could. So while I am happy to share this experience and any knowledge we have with anyone, I can'tguarantee you'll want to follow our examples if you are looking for cheap haha.

These sketches still aren't final. As I began to draft out the stud alignments, I realized some of the things I had envisioned weren't cost effective or feasible with our building experience so things are still changing, even though we have started construction.

We are using 2 * 4s for the framing. The entire structure will give our six birds 24 square foot. We are building a raised coop and for that we are still deciding if the underneath will serve as storage or additional run space.

Here we began by framing the floor. We are using 16" on center studs for the floor and walls. We probably could have gotten away with 24" centers but the structure wouldn'tbe as strong. We get such high winds in the spring and so, stronger is better. Additionally, we could justify a thinner plywood sheathing with stronger stud placement, which saved us more money than going the route of wider stud placement and heavier sheathing.

And why my husband is in charge of heavy lifting. I attempted moving too much plywood and dropped five sheets on my leg... Excuse the hairy leg lol, its still jeans weather here haha

Once I was finished whining from that, I walked out to see my hubbs had used clamps and the level to get the 4*4 posts on.

Then I painted the legs white before we put them in the ground. The legs were four foot tall but we put them down in the ground about 18" in. We dug holes with a post hole digger, about 2 foot down and filled in with some gravel, to ensure drainage so water would better drain away from the bottom of the posts and further prevent rot. After getting he base in and making sure the whole thing was level, we filled the rest of the holes in with a mixture of gravel and the dirt we pulled from the holes. Concrete would have been stronger but we may want to grow our flock later and it might mean moving the structure or replacing it with a larger one later. Digging up concreted posts is a pain.

Then the hubbs used 1/2" plywood for the floor.

We will work on framing the walls today as we can. We have two small children and no fenced yard (next project on the list) so we suspect we will work on it for a week or two. I will post more as we get more accomplished.

Made quite a dent in the workload today. I'll be caulking everything really well this weekend while the husband is gone this weekend and if I can slap a coat of paint in it on Monday, we can put the roof on on Tuesday. We can get the doors and hardware in on Wednesday and maybe get the nest boxes done on Thursday. No rain projected through Thursday for our neck of the woods, so I feel confident we can get all the inner workings done before we do get anymore rain.

It's easier to do all this work when you have a good helper...

I WANT BCMs! I will have some someday. xD I also want Welsummers. Please keep us posted on your roos temperament. I want a non aggressive one.. if that's possible... Oh fun, an addition already?? hehe How does hubby feel? That's exciting though!

He actually wants it lol. He and I agree that we want more than two hens and that we want some different breeds and we both agree that we do NOT want to brood indoors again. And the current coop build is small enough that we dont feel like there is adequate space to separate a space for a brooder. It probably still wont happen for a couple months because we have other things to take care of and we will need to run electric out to the extension since it will have a brood box space in it. And so we'll need to get an electrician out here as neither of us is familiar with that sort of work and messing with electricity scares me anyway.

I've heard that Wellie roos have a great temperament. I've also heard the best way to keep them docile toward their humans is to not handle them much once you suspect they are cockerels. Apparently, it familiarizes them to you and defeats their natural and instinctual fear toward us, making them more bold to act aggressively. Of course some breeds are more prone to aggression (ie RIR roos). But the Wellies are pretty skittish to begin with. I feel like his natural fear of us will make him easier to handle as he reaches maturity.

Here are some better images of the branch perch, and in use...

They use it to wander onto the 2*4s of the walls haha...

I'd love to see it if you have a pic. We haven't even started the run yet haha. I'm no carpenter by any means either but I picked up a lot of math knowledge from my dad who is. He never had sons so we often went with him to jobsites and helped. A lot of this has still been guess work and a ton of research and watching YouTube videos. My dad is now in his 50s and constantly busy so I feel bad asking for help from him. I've only called him twice with questions. He'll just have to be surprised when he swings by and sees what his daughter and son in law made lol.

It is 8x16 ft. Half is covered. We are going to completely screen it and put screen into the growth as well. Not the prettiest, but my first time doin it! I also bought an automatic solar chicken door that will go into the side of the shed. We have a 6x12 foot coop inside the shed, so when we open the door chickens don't come running out!

Last edited:
The zoo trip would definitely be worth it. :D Ahh, I feel your pain. Ours are also pushing 7 weeks! I was really hoping they'd get in today, but at this point, it may be tomorrow. Idk. I'm feeling anxious. We dealt with a solid week or more of rain prior to this week. Thank God it has cleared up and is now beautiful. Maybe your forecast will change...

Your coop is adorable! I am kind of embarrassed to post pics of mine after seeing such as yours. :p Mine is ugly. lol It will be cute in time, but as of now, it's got a ways to go. I really want to use the same siding you used. The T1-11. But it is expensive!! So we opted for OSB for now. And are planning on covering it as our budget allows. And it looks like your husband really knows his way around carpentry. My bf is no master carpenter... lol But I know the chickies will be happy, regardless of what it looks like. :D

Haha, he really doesn't!!! My dad is a carpenter and he didn't have sons so I went with him to jobsites and learned a lot. I used to work with him in his shop growing up. When all the other 6th graders made solar cookers with pizza boxes and tin foil, I built a greenhouse style color cooker with hinged lids and a thermometer and other fancy features. And it wasn't just my dad building it for me. I had to design what I wanted and then he would showme how to make it and assist where power tools were necessary.

I designed the coop, drew it out to scale on graph paper, including the framing. I instructed him on how to do the things necessary to construct it. Fortunately, the husband is smart so he remembers things after doing them once. And he is full of ways to improvise in a pinch. And he really can come up with ways to save time that I wouldn't have thought of sometimes. I've got the book smarts but he is much better at putting it into play. We make a good team that way.

Hope the OSB works OK for you. Prime and paint the heck out of it. It's basically just sawdust and glue. If any moisture gets in it, it will deteriorate ten times faster than most other options. Its better used for interior projects where an outer shell made from some other material protects it from the elements.

Mine looks good but it hasn't been cheap so take some solace in that haha.

Lydia getting her dust bath on...

Rolling around like a dog in the grass...

Tonight will be our first big rain since building rhe run so I am going to document the aftermath tomorrow in order to see how muddy it might get in there. If it is really bad, we may dig some trenches and/or build up some levees to divert the water.

I'm not familiar with any kinds of snakes really... does that kind do harm to chickens?

Rat snakes eat rodents, small birds and eggs. Sometimes they'll search for eggs around chickens and chickens will attack it. Rat snakes are constrictors and when provoked can strangle a chicken. I've heard tales of snakes trying to eat a chicken, starting at the head. Then when they get to the shoulder and realize its too big to eat, they regurgitate it, but your chicken is already dead. Lastly, they can sit in nesting boxes for warmth and lying in wait for more eggs. I would hate to go out and check for eggs to find a snake and possibly get bit. Even worse, for my children to reach in for that surprise. And even though rat snakes are non venomous, all snakes carry enormous amounts of bad bacteria in their mouths and can cause some bad infections.

No thank you.

Back
Top Bottom