Beginning to hate irresponsible owners-advice

When I have a chicken with any wounds, I usually fill the sink with warm water, add betadine until it's the color of weak tea, and let the chicken soak for about 10 minutes or so. Oh, and put a towel down in the sink so it's not so slippery. My chickens really seem to relax and enjoy the warm water and the betadine helps disinfect any wounds that I have missed under the feathers. Of course, you have to make sure the chicken gets thoroughly dry. I usually towel dry and then let it stay in the kitchen in a crate full of hay.

Also, a product you can probably get at your feed store called Vetericyn is a good wound treatment. It's pricey - $32.99 for 16 ounces, but it lasts a long time. It comes in a spray bottle and is simple to use. I avoid any creams or ointments because they just seem to stick the feathers down and cause more discomfort.

Good luck with her!

You need to tell your friend not to be shocked when she gets the call to come get her dog and bring a garbage bag to put it in because thats what would happen if it was my chickens.

After delivering mail for 25 years I can tell you: There's only one thing worse than some dogs, and that is their owners. I don't know how people can have animals and yet be so insensitive to the needs of another living being. They are living, thinking individuals, not machines. How absolutely selfish and irresponsible some people can be, it astounds me.

Quote:
That is so wrong on so many levels.... I hope the dog doesn't get killed for stealing/killing chickens and I feel bad for the both the chickens and their owners.

On the contrary, I hope it does. Because obviously the owner couldn't care less about it and although it isn't the dog's 'fault', I like humans and their needs more than I like a marauding, murdering dog.

Like I said I seriously doubt she will even care if her dog dies. Its a dog..not a pet.

Yes I am defintily keeping this chicken. She is so sweet. My other black aust's are butts
tongue.png
. The one (Blacky) is like all bossy pants and purposely comes over just to pick on me. Its ok except when I go into the yard or coop with sandles lol. The other one I have is called Pony because when she was growing up she used to jump on all the other chickens and ride them around lol. should have called her Jockey! I have yet to name this chicken. I just want to wait till she is better. Once you name it...its yours kinda thing. She's a bit more lazy today. She is laying down..like down flat almost. Its almost like she can relax more than she could before. I hope that is a good thing. Before she stood and slept on one leg sometimes and then sometimes she'd barely lay. I hope her leg heals ok. I know it is injured more than what I can see. Dont think its broke though.

I like the idea of letting her sit in the sink of warm water. I dont know if she would lay in the sink but maybe. At the very least it would get the underbelly of her which I cannot see. Plus if it washes a hint of smell off her that would be good lol. I just cant stand stinky chickens. I mean they have their smell but this one is like "hey I rolled in something in the barn" kinda smell.
sickbyc.gif
I"m pretty sure its horse crap. I'm going to town later today and I'll pick up betadine. I can only get it at walmart. Even they told me they arent really suppose to sell it either. Dont remember why.

I tried eggs again this morning for her, she looked at me like "hello I didnt eat them last time." I dont think she slept very well, my husband decided to sleep on the couch instead of our room...and I heard him snoring all night. It was nice I got the bed, but i think bad for sleeping chicken. Had no affect on the chicks, they are still energetic. I put saw dust in there yesterday and they are making "beds" and scratching around. They like it much better than paper towel.

It was all quiet yesterday, kids gone, dog and cat put up, I took down the one side of the sheet around her cage and she could see the chicks. She was just watching them and seemed intrested. She was watching me put the sawdust in and then we watched them peck and play in it for a while. I hope she heals rather quickly, I'm limited on space and the cage she is in was suppose to be theirs! I do have my "chick" area out in the coop were she would have more space and could go outside if she chose too but hoping she gets a lot better before I put her out there. I dont want to chance maggots, but I have more chicks coming in like a week or so. Depending on when the feed store orders when the weather is warm enough. I dont have enough room in the little tote I have now for 12 or 13 chicks.. Hope it all works out! Dont want chicks in the chick area till its warmer or they have more feathers. They usually stay in the house till fully feathered. I guess its more of an adolescent area instead of chick.

Back
Top Bottom