Beginnings of a Crossbeak.. Help!!

TheRookie

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
Near Monroe, North Carolina
One of my Frizzle kids top beak is growing to the left while the bottom is staying straight. I need any advice you can give me... I would really love if someone could call or video chat me and walk me through how to trim his beak down as I am a visual learner and I feel like I'd do better if I had someone who could show me... Also, what will I need to do that with? File or clippers? any special kind? His brother and another roo will be going to the local TSC sale tomorrow but I can't part with him when I know I could have helped him.
Oh why oh why do I always get the special needs ones? I love them and they deserve to have a good home but why must they all be boys??
roll.png

Hey Rookie, sorry your lil one has a wonky beak. RF on NC thread has a bird with a cross beak that is happy and healthy. When you file the beak just use a nail fail, slowly file back and forth on the tip until the point/hook is nearly gone. And just make sure he gets food in a deep dish. Good Luck!

Thank you! I will probably end up keeping this one even though I am selling his brother and my D'uccle because I unfortunatly dont have the girls to keep that many boys
roll.png

he has a seperate dish where only him and one sister can reach it and it is plenty deep for him to get food.

Did the nail file work? I have a D'Anver 4 weeks old with the same thing. I was told to do the top. Sooner the better. So nervous never done nothing like this before. One year newby with chickens. I'm from North Carolina too.

Yea it helped a lot. He doesnt have as much of a problem eating now and fits in better. Of course, his same age brother is nearly twice his size but Cooper (my crossbeak) gets around fime and seems to have no trouble with daily activities.

ETA: they are gonna be really fidgety no matter how calm they are normally. Its definitely a two person job. Good luck

Last edited:
Yea ive used our dogs nail file several times. Clipping it is a bad idea since the whole thing could crack and cause huge problems. If you look at it in good light you'll see that the top thats overgrown is almost clear and the rest is a darker color (should be anyway). File it til most of the clear is gone or until they are about even. Youll probably have to hold your birds beak shut so you dont accidentally file the bottom like i almost did.

Back
Top Bottom