Behavior before first egg

Mine kind of do a "buqua", the first time I heard it I thought something was wrong. Went out to find Ghost in the nest, watched for a while, and she proudly laid her first egg. I have video of it I think. I'm too tired tonight to search, upload to youtube, then here. I'll try to upload in the morning after morning routine.

I thought it usually happened in the morning, so I'm confused as to why it was happening at dusk, but it would have also been her first time too so I'm sure she was just as confused ;)

Lol they lay anytime of day i have two that will lay any where from 9-2 and one that lay from 11-6 so just depends on the hen.i heard some lay at night so it depends on the bird personality.

The only one I have laying doesn't lay in the morning every time. It's been different times of day. This morning I woke up to an egg in the coop, but it was cold, so it had obviously been a while since she laid it (some time between coop close and early early morning I would guess). It's not cold outside, even early in the morning either.

I have the coop windows open and my window open so I can hear if I need to, and it didn't wake me. I'm not really a sound sleeper (pretty light sleeper) so there likely wasn't much noise if she did lay during the night, which wouldn't surprise me because mine are really quiet at night.

Oh lord, I hope they don't lay at night. That it's awfully loud haha..if that was what was happening today.
The "egg song"
lau.gif
I have 6 laying. when a few lay at the same time it sounds like they are yelling at each other. Some "announce" more loudly. The "song" sounds like BAWK, BAWK, BAAGAALWK! Repeated SEVERAL times. It's very funny. For laying at night, they usually lay in the am once they get a routine. It takes about 25+ hours for an egg to come down the chute, so "typically" they'll lay a little later each day, into the afternoon sometimes, then hold over till the next early am. Breed has a lot to do with how often they lay too. Farm across the street must have 50-100 hens and at least 20 roos. 4:15 am. Every day. I have to shut my bedroom window.
barnie.gif
Love the sound, just not that early!

I have one of four who is consistently laying not. It's been about two weeks. The first few days she seemed to sing a bit, but now she just goes into the coop and quietly does her business. Her eggs are still pretty small.

Back
Top Bottom