Behavior issue-any input appreciated

graprilapril

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 18, 2014
Hello! This is my first post! I love my chickens and treat them as pets however I have come in contact with something I only
Ever heard about. Poultry house chickens, The kind raised on steroids and antibiotics or so I've read. I just acquired five of these bird's. For hens and one rooster. They are 8 weeks old and weight close to six pounds! This disturbs me. But what disturbs me more is their behavior and condition. They can't seem to stand for more then a few minutes and they walk bow legged. Some are worse then others. The rooster is in the best condition. They are managing to get around enough to eat and drink. I read that they can't stand for long because their bodies developed faster then their organs. Is that true? This whole thing disturbs me but what I want to know more then anything is if they have a chance to be more normal? Will they develop better over time with good feed, bugs and greens? Or are they doomed to a disabled life?

I believe that they are called Cornish crosses, and unless kept on a strict diet, they will die very young. I suggest that you search BYC for threads on Cornish crosses. Maybe Cornish X?

Edited to add - not sure about the antibiotics but pretty sure steroids are against the law. This is a variety of chickens bred for quick weight gain and large breasts. Even if you purchased them as chicks, they are not going to be a healthy, active bird.

Last edited:
Those are cornish crosses. They are meat birds bred to grow quickly and put on weight. The only way to get them to live longer is to restrict their feed and that doesn't work very well. Mosley they will die of heart problems or develop leg problems before they are very old. No one gives steriods to chickens. Chicken meat producers saying they raise steroid free chickens are selling you a line. Its like saying that they don't keep unicorns in with their chickens either.

Hi &
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for all the relplies!!

Someone speaking from experience is the best information you can ever get. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom