Dominique Bantam Rooster Behavior - occasional biting

MenelausMontrose

Chirping
Jun 6, 2023
NC
My bantam rooster, Henry, is about 6 months old and is remarkably well behaved compared to the terrors I've read about here. I'm on my first flock, and I'd like advice regarding whether occasional bites count as aggressive behavior.

He does not approach aggressively, does not sneak up on me, does not attempt to flog, and does not peck in anything other than an exploratory manor.

He is not cuddly at all, and stays out of reach for the most part, except when I bring food out. He does not seem to have any issue with me when I pick his hens up. I hand feed the flock a couple of times a day.

That said, he was hand-raised, and I have noticed him biting me ocassionally. Let's say 3 bites per week, that can't be attributed to me holding food. He's not flaring his neck feathers, and the bites are not hard. He's not holding for more than a second, nor is he twisting. I don't react when he does this, and till now I've chalked it up to him hoping I have more food that he can't see.

This morning he hopped up on the dutch door of the coop with a couple of hens as I was letting them out this morning. The hens do this normally, Henry does not. I stroked him, which he generally doesn't like, but I'd like him to be used to some handling in case he ever develops a medical issue. He bit the finger that stroked him. Seems like a clear case of cause-and-effect.

I'm trying to figure out if this is agressive behavior that I need to pin him down over, or if a couple of bites are to be expected from roosters. The absence of other aggressive behavior makes me think he's fine, but I'd hate for him to turn mean because I didn't "discipline" him now.

Attachments

• 20231109_111422.jpg
    20231109_111422.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20231117-122115_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-122115_Gallery.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
My bantam rooster, Henry, is about 6 months old and is remarkably well behaved compared to the terrors I've read about here. I'm on my first flock, and I'd like advice regarding whether occasional bites count as aggressive behavior.

He does not approach aggressively, does not sneak up on me, does not attempt to flog, and does not peck in anything other than an exploratory manor.

He is not cuddly at all, and stays out of reach for the most part, except when I bring food out. He does not seem to have any issue with me when I pick his hens up. I hand feed the flock a couple of times a day.

That said, he was hand-raised, and I have noticed him biting me ocassionally. Let's say 3 bites per week, that can't be attributed to me holding food. He's not flaring his neck feathers, and the bites are not hard. He's not holding for more than a second, nor is he twisting. I don't react when he does this, and till now I've chalked it up to him hoping I have more food that he can't see.

This morning he hopped up on the dutch door of the coop with a couple of hens as I was letting them out this morning. The hens do this normally, Henry does not. I stroked him, which he generally doesn't like, but I'd like him to be used to some handling in case he ever develops a medical issue. He bit the finger that stroked him. Seems like a clear case of cause-and-effect.

I'm trying to figure out if this is agressive behavior that I need to pin him down over, or if a couple of bites are to be expected from roosters. The absence of other aggressive behavior makes me think he's fine, but I'd hate for him to turn mean because I didn't "discipline" him now.
My roo (not the same breed) pecked me a few times when I messed with him, it might just be his hormones kicking in. 6 months (around the age of my roo when he started biting) is where I've found this happening.

My roo (not the same breed) pecked me a few times when I messed with him, it might just be his hormones kicking in. 6 months (around the age of my roo when he started biting) is where I've found this happening.
He's definitely got all his hormones now. I appreciate the input. Did your roo continue behaving that way, did he settle down, did he get more aggressive, or did you train him once he started biting?

Let's say 3 bites per week, that can't be attributed to me holding food.
It's not okay for me. It hurts. And is clear disrespect for my personal space.

I stroked him, which he generally doesn't like, but I'd like him to be used to some handling in case he ever develops a medical issue. He bit the finger that stroked him. Seems like a clear case of cause-and-effect.
I agree.. some of my hens might do the same thing.

I don't buy the whole dominance discipline thing.. I've never been bitten by the majority of roosters I've kept and the little a-holes who tried that biting never got better.. but usually escalated. All are individuals, so you mileage may vary.

Happy adventures! :fl

He's definitely got all his hormones now. I appreciate the input. Did your roo continue behaving that way, did he settle down, did he get more aggressive, or did you train him once he started biting?
I trained him by spraying water on him if he bit or attacked anyone. He's a silkie, so he doesn't really like water. It was warm out though, so he couldn't get sick from it.

Back
Top Bottom