Behavior

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SowdersHomestead, Nov 9, 2011.

1. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    My meaties are now 4 weeks old and mostly feathered. I have noticed every time I go out to the coop they are mostly quiet laying around resting. Once they notice that I am there they get up and start chest bumping each other and running around. They act like they are showing off for "DAD". Not to mention out of the 11 I have I think 9 are cockerels. I find this funny and was wondering if this is typical in the CX or does all breeds act like this as juvies?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I am not familiar with meatie behavior but I assume it can't be much different than my eggies. Seems to me all juvie chickens are just weird in general. The roosters have to establish who's the boss and the chest bumping and so forth is part of the process. Sometimes the juvie hens will do that too. Come to think of it, even juvenile humans act weird!

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I don't know if it's the norm, as we our on our first batch of meaties ourselves, but I can tell you mine are psycho nuts for me! They seem to have learned "the hand that feeds them" and go CRAZY pecking at whatever I have in my hand assuming it is food I guess - and get ALL wound up making noise, running over each other, standing on each other, when they hear the sound of my voice - it's like they KNOW I mean food and can't wait to see what I'm bringing!

I sure do wish they were a little less feisty at the sound of my voice - I worry they're gonna hurt each other running to get to me!

Maybe yours know who feeds 'em and are jostling for the best spot too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by