Behavioral problem

Chickenman623

Songster
Jan 20, 2023
My 15 week old hens absolutely will not go into the coup at night and roost. :he I had 24 hens about 15 years ago and right at dusk they'd all march dutifully up the ramp and hop on their favorite roosting bars. These hens all bunch up against the edge of the run and huddle together all night on the ground. I don't get it. :confused: I'm darned sure not going to let them free range in the larger pen if they won't return at night! We've too many Owls, Racoons and Opossum to let them stay outside their protected run at night. Any suggestions?

At dusk the coop interior will be darker that the outside and they are afraid to enter.

You could install a little light for a few days until they get the routine and check the coop carefully for mites as chicken often will avoid their coop when it is mite infested.

7 hens. 15 weeks old.4' x 7'. Had 24 hens last time in same coup. Coup size shouldn't be a problem.

Going to try and install a automatic night light in the coup today.

Thanks.

Pic of the coup.

20230725_070518.jpg

Just an update.

Installed electricity to the coup and put in an automatic night light. They still refused to change their night-time habit of sleeping under the coup. 😞 I guess they could sleep there every night forever but I want them inside their coup. Winter in Oklahoma can get nasty and I'd rather they'd sleep on their roosts like "normal" chickens inside the warm coup! We tried letting them make up their own minds for about a week and then decided it was time to start training them to march up the ramp at dusk like they are supposed to. I closed off access to the area underneath the coup so they couldn't hide under it. We went out at dusk and started picking them up and poking them through the hole at the top of the ramp..............quickly closing the door behind each one. It was a rodeo for sure. Did that for 3 nights and then on the 4th we noticed they would cautiously walk up the ramp. Took a while because the first one up the ramp would block the door and the rest would stand patiently on the ramp. What clowns!!!!! But our chickens seem to have figured it out now and go up the ramp at dusk and get up on the roosts on their own. SUCCESS!!! :celebrateThe next rodeo "hurdle" is going to be clipping their wings. As soon as we do that we'll open the run door and allow them out into the larger pen that encircles their coup and run. Plenty of things for them to forage on and they'll be much happier to have the freedom.

They've been going up the ramp on their own now for a couple of months, so I don't think the angle of the ramp was any problem. Like I posted, they sorted it out quickly after we poked'em through the door three nights. Think they got tired of the rodeo! :lau

Back
Top Bottom