Behaviour of rooster! (new to roosters)

Some flocks work out with multiple roosters, but any time that could change. We've had peaceful flocks with multiples, and then sudden events that went poorly, so particular birds had to leave immediately.
Mary

Sorry if you already mentioned this and I just missed it, but how many hens do you have? I've even had hens (RIR's,) get aggressive towards me when I tried to interfere repeatedly on a behavior (gee, RIR's aggressively attacking other hens.) The lesson to me was already mentioned, he's for sure going to turn on you and the older Rooster if you keep intervening. If you have alot of hens, I'd create 2 flocks, then merge into 1 when/if the older Rooster passes. If older Rooster isn't really that old, I'd just pass on young in for now, Roosters are quite easy to come by/raise later..... I loved the cockerel in my Avatar but I had to do what was right for the flock and he went to a breeder who had multiple seperate flocks. Win, win.

Sorry if you already mentioned this and I just missed it, but how many hens do you have? I've even had hens (RIR's,) get aggressive towards me when I tried to interfere repeatedly on a behavior (gee, RIR's aggressively attacking other hens.) The lesson to me was already mentioned, he's for sure going to turn on you and the older Rooster if you keep intervening. If you have alot of hens, I'd create 2 flocks, then merge into 1 when/if the older Rooster passes. If older Rooster isn't really that old, I'd just pass on young in for now, Roosters are quite easy to come by/raise later..... I loved the cockerel in my Avatar but I had to do what was right for the flock and he went to a breeder who had multiple seperate flocks. Win, win.
I have 35 hens and 2 roosters. I was getting in the youngers one way just to let the older one take a break from running, the ideea was at least when im there for the older one to get a nice peaceful meal. I have 5 feeders and 5 water stations, not in the same area but in the same line of sight. The younger one would not stop until the older one would go away from every feeder, so thats why i went in to stop it. Today for a second i tried to pick the younger one up (like i always did) but he ran, and after he kinda came at my leg prepared to attack, i dont know why he was hesitant he was just in the postion, but didnt strike. If he actually attacks he is going to become soup, i wont let him torment the other one + i have some eggs under a broody so in 6 months i will have a new rooster xD

I have 35 hens and 2 roosters. I was getting in the youngers one way just to let the older one take a break from running, the ideea was at least when im there for the older one to get a nice peaceful meal. I have 5 feeders and 5 water stations, not in the same area but in the same line of sight. The younger one would not stop until the older one would go away from every feeder, so thats why i went in to stop it. Today for a second i tried to pick the younger one up (like i always did) but he ran, and after he kinda came at my leg prepared to attack, i dont know why he was hesitant he was just in the postion, but didnt strike. If he actually attacks he is going to become soup, i wont let him torment the other one + i have some eggs under a broody so in 6 months i will have a new rooster xD
Totally agree, and that's a great ratio if you wind up being able to split them into 2 flocks!

:welcome He may be thinking about challenging you. Unless you really need/want two roosters, why not rehome him?
I live in the Chicagoland area and I have two roosters that I want to rehome and I’ve been trying to reach out to people such as Chicago chicken rescue, put some things out on Facebook and on craigslist, and nobody has bit on it… I have a jersey giant “Chaunky aka cluck noris”, which we know is endangered species, and the French Maraan “hughie aka hugh cluckner”. They are my kids birds, but my kids don’t want to go in the coop anymore because they’ve become aggressive and jump at them. We have done everything to try to show them dominance. But it’s been really sad because it changed the entire dynamic of my flock. So if you have any ideas on where I can rehome them, I am all ears/eyes.

Back
Top Bottom