Being bullied by everyone else, what can I do other than remove her?

WhySayWhat

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 5, 2010
Spokane, WA
My little Scissor Beak EE is getting picked on so bad! Today, Peaches, my Golden Buff, ripped out half her back feathers! I put Hen Healer in her, but it looks so rough! How do I protect her from getting killed…or can I?
I have to pull her out of the run to eat mash every day because of her beak, she can’t eat like the rest of them and she literally spends all day running between the feeders and water containers between my mash feeds. They’ll be 25 weeks this coming Monday and they really started going after her in the last week or so (after we rehomed the accidental cockerel). They’re on pellet feed, they all get mash at the same time she does, I do one big bowl for the other 12 and a tiny 1/3c portion for just her. She takes forever to eat, so I was sitting with her next to the run (in another enclosed elated so my dogs can’t cause trouble) and they weren’t letting her intergrate back in after eating. I started locking her in the coop while she eats and they are locked outside. When she’s full, she heads for the door (I have a WiFi enabled chicken door, so I watch the cameras inside and open the door for her), I let her out and everyone else rushes in to clean up any food she’s left behind (she’s a really messy eater).

Long and rambling, but I think I covered any basic questions.

Attachments

• F98572A4-67FB-4FD0-ABB1-CD2A4F2B9985.jpeg
    F98572A4-67FB-4FD0-ABB1-CD2A4F2B9985.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 7
  • D45486C5-ED6C-48E1-8401-8607CD938750.jpeg
    D45486C5-ED6C-48E1-8401-8607CD938750.jpeg
    581.8 KB · Views: 2
It is tough when one is very low in the pecking order and gets picked on. It sounds like the pecking order is changing since the cockerel left the flock. Roosters can be good at keeping the peace when there are squabbles. I have had to separate a bullied hen to the other side of the chicken fence to keep her safe. She could see the others, but they could not hurt her. Do you have a more meek chicken that could be with her in a separate area? Hopefully, they will work out the new pecking order soon, and stop being mean, but it could also get worse. BluKote is something that can be used to color the wounds and bare spot. It can be staining so use carefully. Some also use pine tar, a bad tasting and healing ointment, and it is found online or in the horse supplies at feed stores. Nustock cream is also a horse cream that may work.

Once BluKote spray dries it is not messy. It works for some with pecking problems. In some cases, it could cause pecking, but I have always had success. My 2 polish chickens’ head feathers were always a target for feather picking, and BluKote worked for them.

Once BluKote spray dries it is not messy. It works for some with pecking problems. In some cases, it could cause pecking, but I have always had success. My 2 polish chickens’ head feathers were always a target for feather picking, and BluKote worked for them.
I'll get some ordered, all my feed store had was Hen Healer when the cockerel was busy ripping combs.

Back
Top Bottom