I originally think it started as a moot. But I did also have them on a cheaper food. One with lower rotein content. So I uped the rotein and she is starting to grow. Ack feathers. Finally. But yes the roo is new. The pecking has been going on for months. Since before him for sure. I think I just have some more aggressive girls. They don't all do it. Just a few.

I originally think it started as a moot. But I did also have them on a cheaper food. One with lower rotein content. So I uped the rotein and she is starting to grow. Ack feathers. Finally. But yes the roo is new. The pecking has been going on for months. Since before him for sure. I think I just have some more aggressive girls. They don't all do it. Just a few.
Moot?<scratcheshead>
Could have just been the lack of protein, let's hope so, time will tell.
If there is just one or two birds that are the feather pickers,
and continue to do so,
you might want to separate them for a week or two...or permanently.

So sorry. Molt. But yes I will separate them if needed. Thank you for the help!

Whatever the cause, feather pecking/eating can become a very bad habit. Do an on site search on 'Pin Less Peepers'. Attaching these to the worst offenders until she can regrow feathers may help with the problem.

Also cover the bald and reddened areas with Blu-kote, it may cut down on the feather plucking. Poor girl. She might benefit from wearing a hen apron as well, it would protect her back so feathers can grow in.

Back
Top Bottom