Being picked on

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FrogDoc, Apr 11, 2011.

1. FrogDoc

FrogDoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Mid-Michigan
    We got six chicks when they were about three weeks old and at the same time got two that were only a few days old and were much smaller. We kept the six separate from the two tiny ones so they wouldn't get stomped on. Now the two little ones are feathered out and we put them all together. One of them is a bit bigger than the little one and she seems to have been accepted, but there is one of the bigger ones that keeps picking on the littler one. I felt sorry for her, so put her back in the other enclosure, but now she's alone and peeping like mad.

So, I don't know whether I should put the little one back in so the others can get used to her, but risk her being picked on a little- or leave her where she is for another couple weeks til she gets older.

Any thoughts?

2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    I think she will be crazy lonely by herself, so I would put her back, or get a buddy for her. I think that they are just re-establishing a pecking order after they have been apart. Are the little ones banties, or just smaller than the rest?

3. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    If you separate her, give her a non-aggressive buddy to hang with. They never stop peeping on their own!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by