Belated hello!

bluebutterfly

Chirping
Jan 22, 2017
Middle of Louisiana, USA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My grandparents on both sides had chickens when I was growing up, so I was around them throughout my childhood. My husband had chickens when we were first married. Then our daughter had a great flock as a teenager. She was on BYC at one time and learned a lot and taught/still teaches me. She suggested I join BYC!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Right now, we have just two and a flock of Muscovies.​

(3) What breeds do you have?
Our roo is RIR and our hen is Barred Rock.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I cannot eat and enjoy store-bought eggs anymore! Also, I love having them roaming around the yard. I probably will not use any of our chickens for the freezer though! And, I would miss that early morning cock-a-doodle-do if I didn't have a roo!​

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am getting back to some hobbies that kind of got put on the back burner now that my kids are nearly grown, but I also babysit for my 18 month old grandson who is my heart! We have been homeschoolers since 2002. I love to read. I crochet when I can. We are self-employed, so there's that. And I cook 95% of our meals at home everyday. I love to be on the tractor bush hogging or on the lawn mower cutting our yard. My husband and I have been married almost 27 years and we live in his childhood home, which is about a 5 minute walk across our pasture to MY childhood home, where my parents (90 and 92 years old) still live.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
See #5 above.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I learned about BYC from my then teen daughter who is an animal lover and wanted to have chickens and rabbits. Being a typical homeschooled kid, she went on the hunt for the information she needed and she landed on BYC. She suggested I sign up about a year ago when I finally decided to "do chickens" on my own.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Your daughter was very wise for starting off with a flock of chickens. They are so fun and entertaining! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom