Belgian D'Uccle bloody foot - cause and cure?

mboreham1

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Carmichael, CA
I have a Belgian D'uccle with blood on both feet, she is about 1 year old and is currently 6 weeks into being a mom!

The blood seems to be coming from the feather "folical" i.e. where the feather grows from, she doesnt really show signs of molting yet, has anyone else experienced their chickens with feathered feet plucking them out on their own accord? She has plenty of calcium and protien, she free ranges and is generally very healthy, she hobbles a little. I bound the foot so the blood is covered, seperating her is too stressful on her and her babies.

Does anyone have experience? How long do the feet normally bleed? How did you cure it? Her babies were pecking her feet and she seemed to have blood around her beak.

Let me know your thoughts!

ive got a few duccles also.ive seen blood on their feet also.i think its just the feathers are so long that the other chickens step on them and they just get in the way.i havent had to do anything.the bleeding stops and they go about their business.just watch the other chickens dont peck at the blood..

thanks, they were pecking at it, so i bound it up but as you can imagine, she wasnt best pleased at that, her babies were being inquisative so i had to cover up that red stuff!

sounds like youve got it under control..
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom