Bleeding Feather on Foot

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My Silkie chicken, Nutmeg, got a bit tangled in some thorns. She seemed fine and freed herself, but when I was looking over her to make sure she was ok I noticed some bleeding on her foot. I'm not sure that there's much to be done but thought I would post and ask if there's anything I can do to ensure it heals and feels better as quickly as possible and any other advice. Nutmeg is my emotional support animal, so I care about her a lot. She is still walking normally from what I can tell, although perhaps a little bit stiffer than usual.

It seems to be on the metatarsus (shank) of her foot, close to her spur bud. Since she has feathered feet, it appears that one of the feathers, on the shaft/quill part, where it attaches in between her scales, the calamus (quill) has separated from the follicle. I think maybe it's a pin or blood feather (my flock is also molting).

I don't know that the following information will be helpful, but I will still provide it.

Nutmeg is a buff Silkie chicken and is a little over 2 years old.
She and the flock get Purina Flock Raiser pellets and have access to 2 clean fountain waterers. They get occasional treats (a small scoop of scratch for the flock of 15) and currently have a pumpkin to peck at. The weather has been dry recently, but I live in Washington so it will rain later this week. She is still eating and drinking, and this happened about an hour ago. She ran into a blackberry bush and then wrestled herself out of it. I looked over her face, other leg and foot, and wings, but didn't see any other injuries. I haven't done anything to treat it yet.

I'll attach some pictures, but unfortunately, they aren't very clear. I tried to make sure to include some different views. Mostly I just want to make sure that I can take good care of her and I would love any advice for my sweet girl, although I know it’s not that much of a big deal.

Side note: both Nutmeg and I have similar shades of hair, so there’s probably some of my hair in the photos too. :lol:

And I also know that at some point I should trim her nails/claws.

Thanks so much for all help provided! :D

Attachments

• IMG_7883.jpeg
    IMG_7883.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7874.jpeg
    IMG_7874.jpeg
    935.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7860.jpeg
    IMG_7860.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7854.jpeg
    IMG_7854.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    397.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7859.jpeg
    IMG_7859.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7864.jpeg
    IMG_7864.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7867.jpeg
    IMG_7867.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7865.jpeg
    IMG_7865.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7879.jpeg
    IMG_7879.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 12
It looks like she may have broken a blood feather. You will need to pull it out. Use a forceps or needle nose pliers, so you can get a secure grip. Grab it as close to the skin as you can, then give a quick, hard yank. Clean the area with soap and water, and she'll be fine.

My Silkie chicken, Nutmeg, got a bit tangled in some thorns. She seemed fine and freed herself, but when I was looking over her to make sure she was ok I noticed some bleeding on her foot. I'm not sure that there's much to be done but thought I would post and ask if there's anything I can do to ensure it heals and feels better as quickly as possible and any other advice. Nutmeg is my emotional support animal, so I care about her a lot. She is still walking normally from what I can tell, although perhaps a little bit stiffer than usual.

It seems to be on the metatarsus (shank) of her foot, close to her spur bud. Since she has feathered feet, it appears that one of the feathers, on the shaft/quill part, where it attaches in between her scales, the calamus (quill) has separated from the follicle. I think maybe it's a pin or blood feather (my flock is also molting).

I don't know that the following information will be helpful, but I will still provide it.

Nutmeg is a buff Silkie chicken and is a little over 2 years old.
She and the flock get Purina Flock Raiser pellets and have access to 2 clean fountain waterers. They get occasional treats (a small scoop of scratch for the flock of 15) and currently have a pumpkin to peck at. The weather has been dry recently, but I live in Washington so it will rain later this week. She is still eating and drinking, and this happened about an hour ago. She ran into a blackberry bush and then wrestled herself out of it. I looked over her face, other leg and foot, and wings, but didn't see any other injuries. I haven't done anything to treat it yet.

I'll attach some pictures, but unfortunately, they aren't very clear. I tried to make sure to include some different views. Mostly I just want to make sure that I can take good care of her and I would love any advice for my sweet girl, although I know it’s not that much of a big deal.

Side note: both Nutmeg and I have similar shades of hair, so there’s probably some of my hair in the photos too. :lol:

And I also know that at some point I should trim her nails/claws.

Thanks so much for all help provided! :D

Are there any updates on nutmeg? My white silky has just yesterday had the same problem. I don’t want to pull it out but not sure if I leave it if everything will be OK.

Are there any updates on nutmeg? My white silky has just yesterday had the same problem. I don’t want to pull it out but not sure if I leave it if everything will be OK.
It depends. Broken blood feathers sometimes stop on their own and sometimes they don't. Keep an eye on it. If it isn't actively dripping it should be ok. If it doesn't stop then it will have to be pulled. I myself prefer to always pull them, then they can grow a new healthy feather. It isn't hard, but I know it's scary until you've done it.

I ended up removing it, just using some needle nose pliers and then applying pressure. I agree with @townchicks, if it doesn't stop bleeding it definitely should be pulled. :D

Back
Top Bottom