Hen has dodgy foot

MWSIFarm

Chirping
Feb 22, 2022
Western AUS. SW Region
Hi all,
478AA850-556B-415F-BA15-A959C731F054.jpeg

I noticed one of our silkie hens (they are about 3-4 years old) started to limp quite badly, i noticed her foot has gone really crusty, no wound or bleeding or open sores but looks like she cant move her toes properly.

I checked her other foot and it looks normal as well as all the other hens……. Both of our roosters feet actually look pretty rough but they dont seem to have any problem moving. Ive never had health problems in the flock before so im a little lost. Any advice would be great have taken a photo of the foot in question.

FYI no new birds have been introduced for years all we have done is hatched and raised maybe 15 more birds since our original 5, the issue is with one of the OG hens. From what i can tell she still gets around and is eat drinking pooping.

Thanks again

Do you have any other pictures of any other feet that you suspect is leg mites? With the one pictured, I would,bring the chicken inside for warmth, and soak the feet in warm soapy water for about 15 minutes. Take a toothbrush and gently scrub off a little of the crud, then dry thoroughly. Generously apply petroleum jelly or other oil (mineral, castor, vegetable) 2-3 times the first week. Then apply it as needed at least twice a week. It may take several weeks to see new scales growing in. Some use sulfur powder mixed with mineral oil into a paste, which is a natural insecticide. Ivermectin pour on used on the back of the neck can be used as well.

Do you have any other pictures of any other feet that you suspect is leg mites? With the one pictured, I would,bring the chicken inside for warmth, and soak the feet in warm soapy water for about 15 minutes. Take a toothbrush and gently scrub off a little of the crud, then dry thoroughly. Generously apply petroleum jelly or other oil (mineral, castor, vegetable) 2-3 times the first week. Then apply it as needed at least twice a week. It may take several weeks to see new scales growing in. Some use sulfur powder mixed with mineral oil into a paste, which is a natural insecticide. Ivermectin pour on used on the back of the neck can be used as well.
Its the 2 roosters and the one leg on the hen…….. i assume the other has them just not as bad. Ill get stuck in and see if i can get on top of them.

Back
Top Bottom