Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

I'm guilty of over-simplifying costs too. :p Hubby now wants a better account of things here, now that we've found our breed of choice. Will start to manage things better with next batch of chicks.

So glad you liked your birds, Shades. :) I wonder if feeding each breed turns out equal, as the Malines do forage for most of their own feed. It's been our experience that the dark meat is darker on birds that are more active. Still, very delicious though. :)

I think hubby would strangle me if I got a sportsman! :lol: He's not entirely sold on the idea of marketing these yet. I thought I would do a test run with 'call ducks' to see how shipping eggs goes. Then maybe convince hubby its a good idea. ;). We're thinking 2 hatches a year from our genesis incubator & any our broody hatch out as extra. We do our own processing, so doing 2 hatches makes things more manageable.

My big girls are getting some wee wattles & combs coming in. One is already getting red. I'm guessing 3 weeks until they start laying. :)

I'm guilty of over-simplifying costs too.
tongue.png
Hubby now wants a better account of things here, now that we've found our breed of choice. Will start to manage things better with next batch of chicks.

So glad you liked your birds, Shades.
smile.png
I wonder if feeding each breed turns out equal, as the Malines do forage for most of their own feed. It's been our experience that the dark meat is darker on birds that are more active. Still, very delicious though.
smile.png

I think hubby would strangle me if I got a sportsman!
lol.png
He's not entirely sold on the idea of marketing these yet. I thought I would do a test run with 'call ducks' to see how shipping eggs goes. Then maybe convince hubby its a good idea.
wink.png
. We're thinking 2 hatches a year from our genesis incubator & any our broody hatch out as extra. We do our own processing, so doing 2 hatches makes things more manageable.

My big girls are getting some wee wattles & combs coming in. One is already getting red. I'm guessing 3 weeks until they start laying.
smile.png

lol.....i have had the sportsman on my mind.......looked for some.....found them.....changed my mind......looked again.....then heard they are pricey to run......then changed my mind.....and guess what.....now I am thinking again......lol. My hovabator only holds 40 at best and I really don't like filling it up that full anyways. It makes hatch days just to crowded and then you can't keep an eye on the eggs to see how hatching is going. My son in law and I would like a larger amount of chicks per hatch but I guess I can hatch out 3-4 weeks sooner and keep the chicks in my barn until it is warm enough. By then the next hatch would be out and ready to go. Oh maybe I better stay satisfied with 2 hovabators for now.

There is still more testing to do with the Malines as far as I am concerned anyways. They are to mature at the weight of up to 13 lbs. We are going to keep some roos for about 23-25 weeks this next batch and once again see how size/texture goes. If they get too tough.....well it appears a 17-18 week old cockerel is about 5 lbs. average. That is okay but I would like some 8-10 lb birds also. Now how to get them there and keep them tender. I want to hear how Shellz gets along with feeding the butter milk and fermented feed to her next birds to process plus the age of the bird and gender. When did you say the next ones were to be done? I forgot......J

Last edited:
lol.....i have had the sportsman on my mind.......looked for some.....found them.....changed my mind......looked again.....then heard they are pricey to run......then changed my mind.....and guess what.....now I am thinking again......lol. My hovabator only holds 40 at best and I really don't like filling it up that full anyways. It makes hatch days just to crowded and then you can't keep an eye on the eggs to see how hatching is going. My son in law and I would like a larger amount of chicks per hatch but I guess I can hatch out 3-4 weeks sooner and keep the chicks in my barn until it is warm enough. By then the next hatch would be out and ready to go. Oh maybe I better stay satisfied with 2 hovabators for now.

There is still more testing to do with the Malines as far as I am concerned anyways. They are to mature at the weight of up to 13 lbs. We are going to keep some roos for about 23-25 weeks this next batch and once again see how size/texture goes. If they get too tough.....well it appears a 17-18 week old cockerel is about 5 lbs. average. That is okay but I would like some 8-10 birds also. Now how to get them there and keep them tender. I want to hear how Shellz gets along with feeding the butter milk and fermented feed to her next birds to process plus the age of the bird and gender. When did you say the next ones were to be done? I forgot......J
Are these birds ever caponized?? I would think that a Malines capon would be HUGE!

My oldest birds will be 21 weeks old Thursday. My hope is to have some processed before/near end of the month. They'll be 24 weeks old by Nov. 28. Unfortunately, my FF went off/bad. Besides the smell being stronger than usual, the birds stopped eating it. I've tweaked my system & started a new batch this morning. In the meantime, I've been feeding them one afternoon meal of the same mix, added some buttermilk & water. I kept adding water to make it a good consistency. So it's still stretching the feed, but not as much health benefits without it being fermented. New batch of FF should be ready to feed in a couple of days. :)

Hey BC, don't quote me on this, but I believe Malines hybrids are caponized in Europe for market. I should look into that. Still working on the hubby to get me a set of tools. Did see an antique set on eBay, but was pricey. Could get modern tools from China cheaper, me thinks. ;)

Was going to post more pics today. Internet is down. :(

Last edited:
I was so excited because the cost of egg was so cheap. Talked to my mentor and she was like "Colin, did you include the cost of raising hens to POL, and the males? No..." It only put the egg cost up about 10 cents though. So that saying "nothings free" is really true. I have a 400 egg incubator and will be adding 3-4 sportsmen incubators and a hatcher in the next 1-2 years.... <eyes shifting back and forth> Nothing to see here....

My oldest birds will be 21 weeks old Thursday. My hope is to have some processed before/near end of the month. They'll be 24 weeks old by Nov. 28. Unfortunately, my FF went off/bad. Besides the smell being stronger than usual, the birds stopped eating it. I've tweaked my system & started a new batch this morning. In the meantime, I've been feeding them one afternoon meal of the same mix, added some buttermilk & water. I kept adding water to make it a good consistency. So it's still stretching the feed, but not as much health benefits without it being fermented. New batch of FF should be ready to feed in a couple of days.
smile.png

Hey BC, don't quote me on this, but I believe Malines hybrids are caponized in Europe for market. I should look into that. Still working on the hubby to get me a set of tools. Did see an antique set on eBay, but was pricey. Could get modern tools from China cheaper, me thinks.
wink.png

Was going to post more pics today. Internet is down.
sad.png
Hey Shellz.....I would go for the Chinese set. They are the experts in caponizing, and the critical piece is the retractor/spreader, which by all reports is outstanding. Check out the thread Kaussandra started on caponizing....near the top of the meat birds section.....go to the end of the thread for pictures of her using the Chinese tools.

Yep, did that right away after posting. I subscribed to that thread a long time ago. :) Been some action since I last checked. Great stuff! Yeah, I definitely would go for those Chinese tools. Now I just have to convince hubby. ;)

Last edited:
I was so excited because the cost of egg was so cheap. Talked to my mentor and she was like "Colin, did you include the cost of raising hens to POL, and the males? No..." It only put the egg cost up about 10 cents though. So that saying "nothings free" is really true. I have a 400 egg incubator and will be adding 3-4 sportsmen incubators and a hatcher in the next 1-2 years.... Nothing to see here....
There's a lot of details in raising poultry for sure. Way to go Colin - more incubators & hatchers! I'm going thru chick withdrawal. Been so long since I've had some wee chicks. :p Gotta wait....

I was so excited because the cost of egg was so cheap. Talked to my mentor and she was like "Colin, did you include the cost of raising hens to POL, and the males? No..." It only put the egg cost up about 10 cents though. So that saying "nothings free" is really true. I have a 400 egg incubator and will be adding 3-4 sportsmen incubators and a hatcher in the next 1-2 years.... <eyes shifting back and forth> Nothing to see here....

good grief!!!!!!!! a 400 egg bator and then 3-4 sportsmen bators....now that is some serious hatching. It makes me think my two hovabators are spit in the wind.......lol. I seem to see the sportsmen for sale around 4-5 hundred dollars which is half the regular price. that is tempting...

okay.....Shellz.....if your birds will be 24 weeks old that is what I was shooting for. Are they all cockerels or is there some pullets? What weight do you think they are now.....compared to your 17 week old cockerel? I sure hope your taste/texture test pans out with the older bird and the weight should be heavier. Even if you get up to and 7-8 lb bird I would be okay with that. Glad you have more feed brewing.....and I am totally not interested in any slice and dice with my roos......yikes that just is not up my alley...lol

Yes BC I would assume that a capon would for sure get to the 13 lbs and that would be awesome. I will have to wait and see if Shellz gets her set.....lol....and then watch from a distance as to how it goes. The breeding stock my son in law bought from Bart are massive.....hens and roo. They are so quiet....and they are very clean in the pen. They are very impressed with the breed and after the taste test well that was a green light also.

I mentioned to my other daughter that the dark meat on the Malines is dark brown/red in colour. All I heard on the phone was ......"oh... um... I like dark meat but not the dark colour.....you know store bought chickens are not dark". So I might have to raise some Cornish X just for her family. I will have to roast up the other roo and have her over to see and taste it.

Back
Top Bottom