Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

Shellz

Songster
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Scugog Municipality, Ontario, Canada

I believe the one above is a roo (only one), the other a pullet. Both one day old.

This hatch, for whatever reason, has been disappointing. Only 5 healthy chicks hatched from 16 eggs that made it to lockdown. I will use the genesis next time straight thru the process. I had used an LG still air for the actual hatching phase. All the remaining eggs didn't stand a chance, as they were all malpositioned inside. Upside down with beak between the legs. Those that managed to pip and zip halfway, I had noticed they had pecked their leg in the process. So they didn't make it either. I have contacted the breeder & was informed that this is unusual. All previous hatched this season have done very well. Go fig! All is not lost - I will be picking up some 2 week olds he has extras of. Yay!

I will post more pics as I continue on this journey. The best dual purpose breed now in Ontario, Canada!

I have been talking to Shelley behind the scenes as I had bought 3 Malines pullets for breeding stock and 3 cull cockerels for meat only from Bart. My son in law bought 5 mature hens and 1 rooster. I just had 2 of the cull cockerels processed today and thought I would post a picture of them. They were 18 weeks old and one weighed 5 lbs. and the other weighed 4.6 lbs. They appear to be just a nice sized bird for roasting. I will update you on that when I do roast one as I would normally do with stuffing etc. and a normal roasting time. The second one will be put in a salt water brine with celery-onions-garlic-and spices to see the outcome also.

These boys were outside for almost all summer and ate grass like wild fire. They really did not eat much food at all. I put them inside for the last month with hopes they would loose muscle tone and hopefully fill out a bit more. They were huge in stature but only dressed 5lbs.

We had 25 eggs in the bator to hatch and after candling the other night 24 are going to lock down with 1 not growing. They are to hatch by this coming Wednesday.

So even though the rooster is at least 10-12 lbs. in weight he is still getting the job done. These chicks will be raised indoors for their entire life until processed. This will be a good test as to how much food they eat indoors compared to being outside all summer. If the roasting/tasting/texture test passes then we will raise a good bunch this coming spring/summer for our families.

Malines roosters are fine together as long as they have been growing up together. And I have been successful putting two roosters together given there is enough hens for them. They will work it out usually. Right now I have 4 almost 6 month old roosters in one coop and it is very harmonious. I might add another now I still have the chance...

As far as caponizing, I do not see the need at all. Especially if you raise these birds and have the opportunity to hatch a few more, should you need to. Then why would you even bother to harm these birds. This is a large breed of chicken that will put plenty of meat on your table. Caponizing these birds just feels like it's never enough. Just raise a few more and give them a great life. Just my two cents here.

Last but not least, I like to add another point of view to the whole cost discussion. To me the costs are irrelevant within reasonable margins of course. Why? Because Malines are true foraging birds and their meat quality is unmatched both in taste as in the health department (less manufactured food, more grass, seeds and bugs) because of it. Chicken meat like that cannot be compared to cornish x type of birds that don't move and gorge at the feed bin. I find the mere fact of a cost comparison actually oversimplifying. Because it's about so much more. And yes this point of view comes from a a garlic grower and chicken keeper who embraces organic practices and is concerned about what food goes in his families' bellies.

As a side note: I love Shades pics of the two birds side by side. The Cornish x has a price tag ... the Malines: priceless
smile.png

May I make a comment about this breed? Let me say first off, my hats off to the Canadians who wholeheartedly are working on the regrowth and efforts to bring this breed back not only in numbers but also how they are handling it. Very professional approach following breeding guidelines as this breed starts to multiply. If you ever wanted a quality meat bird both docile with the ability to give you large eggs, this is the breed to take a serious look at. Following this thread is but a small example of what is really taking place! Quite beautiful Shelley! Thankyou for sharing with us! Stunning work.

very cute chicks! will be following the progress closely and maybe next year try some for myself! they look great as full grown birds to!

Yes & very meaty! The fat is said to spread throughout the muscles, making for a very tasty bird as well! Most other breeds will have pockets of fat instead. I can't wait to try my first bird for dinner!

I really hope to garner a lot of interest in this breed. It has a lot to offer, I think. Proof will be in the eating though!

it seems from what i have read it is an amazing breed that needs more recognition, i was looking into the jersey giant before but have switched my focus now i think
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom