Belgian Maline turned renegade!

high5

Songster
Jun 24, 2022
Charente, France
I have a 10 month old Belgian Maline rooster (weighing in at around 12 pounds) who was the most gentle rooster I've ever had. He's great with his 8 hen flock, vigilant, very fertile, and gentle with the hens too, when mating (which seems to be all the time!). I couldn't ask more of him!

However, a couple of months ago, he started to get bolshy with me and came at me from behind a couple of times - he didn't hurt, but the intention was there. This evening, a New Hampshire hadn't roosted and was on the floor of the roost, beneath the others so, I picked her up and put her on the perch. As I was doing this, the rooster pecked me on my head. He was very tame, as a chick, but seems to be challenging me now... which I won't accept. As a rule, Belgian Malines are very peaceful birds and, apparently, a few roosters can even live together peacefully. The hens are much bigger than the New Hampshires and Barbezieux I keep, but are bullied by them, they're that laid back.

I just don't understand the rooster's actions. Anyone any suggestions, please?

Attachments

• IMG_20230111_143143.jpg
    IMG_20230111_143143.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 26
I have a 10 month old Belgian Maline rooster (weighing in at around 12 pounds) who was the most gentle rooster I've ever had. He's great with his 8 hen flock, vigilant, very fertile, and gentle with the hens too, when mating (which seems to be all the time!). I couldn't ask more of him!

However, a couple of months ago, he started to get bolshy with me and came at me from behind a couple of times - he didn't hurt, but the intention was there. This evening, a New Hampshire hadn't roosted and was on the floor of the roost, beneath the others so, I picked her up and put her on the perch. As I was doing this, the rooster pecked me on my head. He was very tame, as a chick, but seems to be challenging me now... which I won't accept. As a rule, Belgian Malines are very peaceful birds and, apparently, a few roosters can even live together peacefully. The hens are much bigger than the New Hampshires and Barbezieux I keep, but are bullied by them, they're that laid back.

I just don't understand the rooster's actions. Anyone any suggestions, please?
You don't have a rooster, you have a cockerel and he's at the age where he takes the position as head of the group and your behaviour in picking up his hens for example are likely to produce an aggressive response.

Cockerels can be gentle with people for a while and then start to get aggressive around that age. My last one didn't start that kind of behavior until he was almost 2. Only you can decide how much you'll tolerate, but I would not trust him anymore if you have any kids around. Mine never hurt me, and I didn't kill him right away. So the first person to get hurt by him was my toddler. We haven't had a rooster since then, but my tolerance for aggressive warning signs has gone way down.

My lead rooster is going on 8y. He has always been a gentleman with the hens and asks politely. Even with the bantams. (He is a bantam cochin, but a good sized one) Ed will get extra frisky around this time each year. Its nesting season and he wants to mate and procreate. Occasionally he will test the limits, and always from behind. We all carry a stick around the yard each spring. After all these years, it doesn't even have to be a big stick. He knows that he will get it if he attacks anyone with a stick.
Now, if we could get his sons to listen. Anyone want a couple of silver laced bantam cochin boys? :cool:

Cockerels can be gentle with people for a while and then start to get aggressive around that age. My last one didn't start that kind of behavior until he was almost 2. Only you can decide how much you'll tolerate, but I would not trust him anymore if you have any kids around. Mine never hurt me, and I didn't kill him right away. So the first person to get hurt by him was my toddler. We haven't had a rooster since then, but my tolerance for aggressive warning signs has gone way down.
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry for my late reply, but I wasn't notified of your post until today.
I've had agressive male chickens in the past, but usually have been able to suss them out beforehand. However, this one is different - he's always been so tame and soulful - and agressiveness isn't normal for this breed. I was sure that there was a reason for his actions.
The flock has been free-ranging, and I noticed that he had his work cut out trying to keep the Barbezieux hens (who wander off, frequently) together with the rest. In fact, I'm sure the situation was getting him down, as the flock always seemed to be split. So, last Thursday I fenced them in, giving them a 400 sq meter (over 4000 sq foot) run. After two or three days his attitude to me began to change, he's now becoming much more approachable, content, and can keep a close watch over the ladies now. There's even a noticable change in his posture - I'm quite positive about the future.

Back
Top Bottom