Isolating Hen

SophiaArga

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2024
I have 8 hens and a rooster. My flock has always been super close, sticking together and keeping a peaceful order. The rooster has favored the Silver Laced Wyandottes the most. In recent weeks, we have been noticing INTENSE mating behavior with one of the Wyandottes. He will mate her again instantly after getting off of her and then again just minutes later. She has been trying to run away from him at times with other times just crouching down when he comes at her. Lately when I free range them, she puts herself in the barn in a corner. As soon as my rooster sees her outside from the barn, he RUNS full force at her from across the yard and mates her multiple times! The last 2 nights she won't even roost with them anymore, she hides in a corner of the barn instead!! I am not sure what to do. Someone please help! Thank you! None of the other hens are picking on her, the order still seems to be peaceful amongst them - it's just my rooster.

I am not sure what to do. Someone please help!
As a first step, it would probably be best to pen up one of them: either the rooster or the over-mated hen. That will give her a break from him, while you figure out what to do next.

A wire dog crate can be a good way to pen up one chicken while still letting it be near the rest of the flock.

As a longer-term solution, I don't know what to recommend, but hopefully someone else will have suggestions.

Penning one of them up is a good idea! Bit I would suggest the rooster. If you do that to the hen then introduce her back, they may bully her some. She's the victim in this already lol. So I would suggest penning the rooster. They will bully him a bit most likely, and that's ok. It sounds like he needs a bully at the moment lol

Penning one of them up is a good idea! Bit I would suggest the rooster. If you do that to the hen then introduce her back, they may bully her some. She's the victim in this already lol. So I would suggest penning the rooster. They will bully him a bit most likely, and that's ok. It sounds like he needs a bully at the moment lol
THANK YOU!! I am going to do this today and I will let you know how it goes! I appreciate this response!

I too would pen the rooster in a dog crate or such. No need to put the hen in a worse case of having her sister hens bully her when she comes back with they might very well do.
Yes I agree!! Thank you for your response!! I will pen up the rooster today

You got some great advice here on penning the rooster. Try to find an alternative root cause for his behavior (other than raging Spring testosterone). Could something else have happen to challenge him into having to mate (dominate) her— is she getting picked up by people or is she a lap chicken that may be getting attention from someone other than to rooster?

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined!

I agree with NorthwoodsChick, something is causing this behavior. It could be a lot of different things. It may be an easy fix or it may be really challenging.

How old are they, the boy, the girl, and the rest? Is she or the other girls laying eggs? There can be a big difference in behaviors between immature chickens or between mature chickens. Is he mating with the other girls? Do they run from him or willingly submit? To me this has the feeling of having to do with them being relatively immature but I've certainly been wrong before. I have had chickens take a strong dislike to another individual or single one out. That could be going on.

With what little I know I agree the best immediate action is to isolate that boy from the flock. That may sort it out. It is possible you can fix this. It is also possible you will need to decide which of the two you want to keep and which to get rid of. Or permanently isolate.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom