Can I add new chicks to flock?

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
This will be a long post, but I need your opinions/recommendations. I got my first chickens (4-5 mo old) in March 2023 from a friend with chickens. I later let Broodies hatch their eggs. I also purchased/received 1day old chicks (non-vaccinated) at the same time the chicks hatched. Hatched chicks were left with mamas until weened (is that right word?) around 3-3 1/2 weeks old, then I put mamas back in with their flock in the new run/coop-again with their new (used) wood coop. I brought the purchased chicks out of garage (same age) and integrated them with hatched chicks. Hatched and purchased chicks had this coop/run to themselves, using the same coop (plastic like) mamas used.

Around 3 months, the chicks started dying for no apparent reason, other than diarrhea. No signs of respiratory, no (apparent) signs of Marek’s disease. Thanks to this list, I could possibly attribute it to using sugar sand with not enough ventilation in the coop (has been modified). I also had purchased a built cage for the chicks as well as the mamas. Chicks cage might have been used a couple times, but appeared new. Mama’s was used. They could possibly have been infected? The friends that also got some of the chicks in the shipment tell me theirs are well so I don’t think it lies with them? The only signs of illness were diarrhea, droopy tails, not eating-then death a few days later, with the exception of one that had lesions in mouth (didn't smell) that I attributed to pox. All chickens were wormed 2x, Corid, copper sulphate. Last one was dead in the coop when I went to let them out. I suspected he had same issue as his waddle always remained pale and though he bred the girls-he never crowed. He was eating and drinking and appeared well before I put them up for the night. That was on Dec 11 & he was 5 months old. I’m praying the others have overcome the issue and will make it. All appear well and laying eggs with red waddle/combs. None of the first (adult chickens in the new coop were effected thus far, although I did have 2 falling over-first one had a bum leg when I got him that escalated as it grew older that I attributed it to, torn tendon and finally couldn’t stand on it. Around a month later, I think possibly the 2nd might have dislocated it’s leg. Thru this list, I doctored her for 2 weeks with vitamins with little progress before euthanizing. She could move about using her wing and she could stand a few seconds and get her legs under her and never stopped eating or drinking. This was mid Dec also. So not sure if connected to disease or not.

I did a necropsy on the 4th one that came back
Necropsy Diagnosis:
Adenocarcinoma involving ovary, mesentery, intestine, and pancreas.

Told me they see it a lot and they don’t know why. She had laid eggs every day for 2 weeks, then stopped about a week before her death. Same symptoms as others. I suspected Avian Leukosis-possibly from infected mothers and that spread. Questioned Inspector but said no as tumors weren’t found in liver I think. I did not have others necropsies as I didn’t agree with their diagnosis. Adenocarcinoma is not contagious, too coincidental, and tumors could be result from Avian Leukosis? Possibly I will take next one if another dies for a necropsie. I plan to learn to necropsy my own future chickens if applicable.

Soooooo here’s my question. I would like to try again with new day old chicks. Though I won’t know what was the ailment, If it is Avian Leukosis, all my chickens would be carriers, therefore I do not plan to hatch out any more. I’m thinking I read there is a disinfectant spray Vikon S maybe to kill diseased coop run and possibly barn lime. Afterwards, do you think it would be ok to try new chicks with vaccinations again? Don’t know if vaccination would help if Avaian Leukosis. It was very difficult going thru 3-5 months raising them and then losing them. I don’t want to put them or me thru it again.

What is your perspective/recommendation. I would not get them till mid summer, after I would feel confident these are going to make it or not. If so, should I move the 4 I have left into the big run with the other flock and let new chicks have old disinfected run/coop? Or keep them where they are and integrate them with the new ones when they are old enough.

I think I remember, seeing one of the first ones I lost, begin to shake it’s head and opening beak when it stopped eating the day before it passed. Possibly this was respiratory-attributing to the coop not ventilated.

I did a necropsy on the 4th one that came back
Necropsy Diagnosis:
Adenocarcinoma involving ovary, mesentery, intestine, and pancreas.
I suspected Avian Leukosis-possibly from infected mothers and that spread. Questioned Inspector but said no as tumors weren’t found in liver I think. I did not have others necropsies as I didn’t agree with their diagnosis. Adenocarcinoma is not contagious, too coincidental, and tumors could be result from Avian Leukosis?
All you can do is try again and see how it goes.

There's a few here that have AVL within their flocks and they have some birds thrive, but some don't make it. @azygous may be able to give you some tips.

Do some reading about the Diagnosis the Pathologist gave you. Possible they were wrong, possible they were right. There's so many ailments that affect poultry, sometimes things gets missed.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul... characterized,induced or to be transmissible.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...oplasia-of-the-reproductive-system-in-poultry

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2022/01/31/carcinomatosis-in-laying-chickens/

You did a fantastic job of presented all your information, saving us from having to ask multiple questions. However, you left out one very important detail - your location in the world. It alone can give us more information to piece together this puzzle.

The symptoms you describe the chicks having before they died are consistent with coccidiosis and some are consistant with an avian virus. It may have been a coincidence that the chicken that was necropsied had cancer tumors. That does happen without being associated with an avian virus, but lymphoid leucosis has a wide range of symptoms as does Marek's. There are several different strains involved with both of these avian viruses.

If it is avian leucosis, also called lymphoid leucosis or LL, it's relatively short lived in the environment and you can disinfect rather easily and be confident the virus isn't present in the coop. A few weeks it's gone from the soil and other premises. But if you have any of the original flock, they will continue to carry the virus, although usually the virus sheds very little unless the chicken is actively symptomatic.

What I suggest is next time be ready to treat with Corid at the first symptom. Coccidiosis has a five to seven day incubation after new chicks or adult chickens are exposed to the local soil. Be alert for lethargic behavior, fluffed and puffed up, diarrhea, poor appetite. If a chicken becomes very sick very fast, they can usually be saved with a drench dose - undiluted Corid at .1ml per pound of weight or .1ml for chicks.

Also, if you do have LL in your flock, the symptoms often do appear around the third to fifth month, and even later. Those can be lameness usually in one leg and later the other one, trouble breathing, and mucousy poop. Usually, new chicks added to an LL flock during their first two weeks will develop resistance to the virus and may never become symptomatic. While it is heart breaking when a chicken becomes ill with LL, most do develop resistance and will never become symptomatic. As avian viruses go, LL is not terribly difficult to live with.

All you can do is try again and see how it goes.

There's a few here that have AVL within their flocks and they have some birds thrive, but some don't make it. @azygous may be able to give you some tips.

Do some reading about the Diagnosis the Pathologist gave you. Possible they were wrong, possible they were right. There's so many ailments that affect poultry, sometimes things gets missed.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/neoplasms-of-unknown-etiology-in-poultry#:~:text=Adenocarcinomas in Poultry&text=These neoplasms often are characterized,induced or to be transmissible.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...oplasia-of-the-reproductive-system-in-poultry

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2022/01/31/carcinomatosis-in-laying-chickens/
Thank you for your response and the info

Adenocarcinomas of the oviduct and ovary is a very common cancer which occurs in a lot of hens over 2 years old. Those tumors differ from the lymphoid tumors seen in Mareks disease or avian lymphoid leukosis virus. Some differences in the two viruses, are that MD may show up after 5 weeks old, though it usually occurs a bit later. LL also called big liver disease doesn’t show up until at least 4 months of age. If you do a home necropsy, seeing a huge liver may point to LL. If symptoms occur earlier than 4 months, then that may point to Mareks instead. Here is a good vet article about avian leukosis virus:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry

You did a fantastic job of presented all your information, saving us from having to ask multiple questions. However, you left out one very important detail - your location in the world. It alone can give us more information to piece together this puzzle.

The symptoms you describe the chicks having before they died are consistent with coccidiosis and some are consistant with an avian virus. It may have been a coincidence that the chicken that was necropsied had cancer tumors. That does happen without being associated with an avian virus, but lymphoid leucosis has a wide range of symptoms as does Marek's. There are several different strains involved with both of these avian viruses.

If it is avian leucosis, also called lymphoid leucosis or LL, it's relatively short lived in the environment and you can disinfect rather easily and be confident the virus isn't present in the coop. A few weeks it's gone from the soil and other premises. But if you have any of the original flock, they will continue to carry the virus, although usually the virus sheds very little unless the chicken is actively symptomatic.

What I suggest is next time be ready to treat with Corid at the first symptom. Coccidiosis has a five to seven day incubation after new chicks or adult chickens are exposed to the local soil. Be alert for lethargic behavior, fluffed and puffed up, diarrhea, poor appetite. If a chicken becomes very sick very fast, they can usually be saved with a drench dose - undiluted Corid at .1ml per pound of weight or .1ml for chicks.

Also, if you do have LL in your flock, the symptoms often do appear around the third to fifth month, and even later. Those can be lameness usually in one leg and later the other one, trouble breathing, and mucousy poop. Usually, new chicks added to an LL flock during their first two weeks will develop resistance to the virus and may never become symptomatic. While it is heart breaking when a chicken becomes ill with LL, most do develop resistance and will never become symptomatic. As avian viruses go, LL is not terribly difficult to live with.

Adenocarcinomas of the oviduct and ovary is a very common cancer which occurs in a lot of hens over 2 years old. Those tumors differ from the lymphoid tumors seen in Mareks disease or avian lymphoid leukosis virus. Some differences in the two viruses, are that MD may show up after 5 weeks old, though it usually occurs a bit later. LL also called big liver disease doesn’t show up until at least 4 months of age. If you do a home necropsy, seeing a huge liver may point to LL. If symptoms occur earlier than 4 months, then that may point to Mareks instead. Here is a good vet article about avian leukosis virus:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid-leukosis-in-poultry
Thank you, good article, 1st one died at 4 months, The one necropsied was 6 months old. I’m thinking I should just wait this out and see if I lose more first, before considering more. I think I have much learning needed. The 4 left are 8 months now. Appear healthy but periodic diarrhea that is sometimes brown gravy like liquid and sometimes there is wet-mucous? poop in the coop in the mornings.

Back
Top Bottom