My flock has lymphoid leukosis, I could use some advice.

frostmoss

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
On New Years day, I lost my beautiful girl, Hemlock. She was my third loss in a short time. A necropsy by the state vet showed lymphoid leukosis.

I've read everything I can find, and am no longer feeling quite so despairing. I had already ordered new chicks, with delivery in early May. The internet and state vet says I can add to my flock (mostly) safely by exposing chicks and letting them build a resistance, but I'm on the fence about canceling the order. So I have a couple overthinking-it questions that I can't find satisfactory answers to. I'd love to get some input from anyone with experience.

Question the first- everything said to raise the new chicks "along side" or "near" the carrier flock. How near is near? The goal is to expose them to a low level of virus; if we were to divide the run in half, would that be too close?

Question next- May is still early spring where I live. Below freezing nights are common, highs in the low 40's, and there's likely to still be plenty of snow on the ground (not in the run). Everything says to "brood" new chicks along side. Does that mean they need to be out there from day one? Can I raise them inside for a couple of weeks first? There's no problem putting a brooder plate out there, but it's still chilly! I'd like to keep them inside a bit to monitor them and bond with them.

Those are my questions. I'd love any advice or suggestions y'all could share about managing an LL flock. Right now I'm just doing my best to keep them healthy, strengthen their immune systems, and love them fiercely

Attachments

• 20231111_161054.jpg
    20231111_161054.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 24
Baby chicks can successfully acquire resistance to LL and many other pathogens if exposed to them in small amounts over their first two weeks when their immune system window is open to making antibodies. Brooding the new chicks indoors would miss this window.

I'm also in a region where April and May can still seem like winter. But I brood right in my covered run come April 1. I use the heating pad method and the chicks are warm and snug enclosed in their heat pad cave on nights it gets into the 30s and days aren't over 50. I've never lost a chick to the cold.

The only thing you need to be watchful about when brooding chicks alongside an LL adult flock is that none of the adults are showing active symptoms. The chicks must not be exposed to a chicken showing signs of paralysis or lethargy. The viral shed is extremely heavy from those individuals and chicks are very likely to become symptomatic and die if they come into close contact. This has happened in my flock. It's heart breaking.

But all of my chicks that were exposed in the early weeks to a non-symptomatic flock acquired resistance and went on to lead normal healthy lives. If you could choose Marek's or LL to have to deal with, I'd choose LL.

Baby chicks can successfully acquire resistance to LL and many other pathogens if exposed to them in small amounts over their first two weeks when their immune system window is open to making antibodies. Brooding the new chicks indoors would miss this window.

I'm also in a region where April and May can still seem like winter. But I brood right in my covered run come April 1. I use the heating pad method and the chicks are warm and snug enclosed in their heat pad cave on nights it gets into the 30s and days aren't over 50. I've never lost a chick to the cold.

The only thing you need to be watchful about when brooding chicks alongside an LL adult flock is that none of the adults are showing active symptoms. The chicks must not be exposed to a chicken showing signs of paralysis or lethargy. The viral shed is extremely heavy from those individuals and chicks are very likely to become symptomatic and die if they come into close contact. This has happened in my flock. It's heart breaking.

But all of my chicks that were exposed in the early weeks to a non-symptomatic flock acquired resistance and went on to lead normal healthy lives. If you could choose Marek's or LL to have to deal with, I'd choose LL.
Thank you so much! This was extremely helpful!

I'm on my 5 th generation with my AVL positive flock. They are PCR tested positive. Non have been symptomatic for 15 months now. But they still test positive and will have to be quarantined, from other chickens and wildlife. Its unethical to sell them and their eggs are contaminated. I added 6 older pullets 2 years ago, and they died within months. Chicks are deceiving because they are perfectly healthy until 4-6 months old or older.

Back
Top Bottom