Consistent shell-less eggs from Belgian d'Uccle

chooky_2_shoes

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2023
Hoping for some advice about a sudden change in egg quality for the last week/week and a half (hoping I can blame the weather?)

Have a 7 month old Belgian d'Uccle who started laying just before Christmas and was laying a consistently perfect little egg every 2-3 days. She didn't seem to get the concept of laying in the nest box, so they were randomly found about their run/coop but otherwise fine. For the last week or so, I've found shell-less eggs in the coop/on the ground, often torn and eaten. The one I found that was fairly fresh had a normal yolk/albumin as far as I could tell. She hasn't laid a normal egg since last week. Vent looks OK, she's her usual friendly self and doesn't appear unwell.

She's with two other d'Uccle pullets who also seem fine (18 and 22 weeks, I don't believe they're laying yet). They're on a layer feed crumble and I've gotten them some fine shell grit a few days ago (which they have all seen and sampled from the container, so they know it's there). I was potentially overdoing the treats for the last few weeks (almost daily fruit and veg scraps, but not a huge amount as they're only little) so I eased up to let them fill up on their layer feed.

Its been stinking hot here in Western Australia the last week or so with a heatwave of 38-40C (100+F) so they've been getting AviVital and ice-bricks in their water and hosing their run/dunking their undercarriage to cool them down. They're in dense shade for the majority of the day. They have definitely been hot and bothered, but not to the point where they look unwell and they're still active.

I'm worried about one of these eggs rupturing in her oviduct, so I'd love to fix the problem if possible. If it's a calcium deficiency then hopefully the feed+grit will address that, but if it's a symptom of the weather, I'll just keep them as cool as possible and wait for a reprieve next week.

Thank you!

PXL_20240102_105931102.jpg

Soluble calcium does decrease with rising hot temps. Oyster shell will not address the problem as the absorption rate in the intestines of that form of calcium is much too slow. You will need to give this hen a tablet of calcium citrate once a day until the shells are back to normal.

You are very correct that shell-less eggs are a ticking time bomb. Since an egg with no shell is stubbornly difficult for a hen to pass, they can more easily become bound up. And yes, the risk of rupturing is great. When yolk ruptures in the oviduct, you have an immediate infection on your hands that can become a chronic reproductive infection that shortens the life of the hen.

It is strange, but just a glitch - but it happens. I am betting that if you do nothing, it will clear up on it's own. People new to chickens tend to expect the perfect eggs that you get in the store. Truth is, a lot of times there are little imperfections - those are sold to companies that use eggs in their production.

It is not uncommon to have glitches, and I too would suspect the weather. The weather will moderate, and I would expect things to go back to normal.

And really there is little you can do to prevent an egg rupturing in the oviduct, if that is in the cards. You would only know that for sure if you opened them after finding them dead. And even then, I would be unsure if that was the cause.

I use the rule of thumb, that if they are eating, bright eyed, red comb and active, they are doing pretty good. There will be some glitches, but seldom life threatening.

Mrs K

Soluble calcium does decrease with rising hot temps. Oyster shell will not address the problem as the absorption rate in the intestines of that form of calcium is much too slow. You will need to give this hen a tablet of calcium citrate once a day until the shells are back to normal.

You are very correct that shell-less eggs are a ticking time bomb. Since an egg with no shell is stubbornly difficult for a hen to pass, they can more easily become bound up. And yes, the risk of rupturing is great. When yolk ruptures in the oviduct, you have an immediate infection on your hands that can become a chronic reproductive infection that shortens the life of the hen.

She just laid another shell-less (but unbroken) egg in my lap (!) right as I was giving her the calcium citrate tablet, so hopefully that plus cooler weather will sort things out.

I saw your other thread about calcium dosage (and how discrepant labels seem to be). I've gone with smaller tablets (easier to give her) of 166mg calcium (as citrate) + Vitamin D. Last weigh in at the vet she was 600g (1.3lb) so she's average size for the breed. Will let you know!

A sad update,

She became suddenly lethargic and miserable the week before last for a couple of days. Took her to the vet, who couldn't find an obstruction/ruptured egg, but she did have fluid build-up around her lungs/heart. She got IV calcium but deteriorated with her breathing and there didn't appear to be a simple or reversible cause, so I had her euthanised. There must have been something wrong (?heart failure ?cancer) but hard to say what exactly.

Definitely appreciate all the tips, the vet did say there wasn't anything else they thought I could have done at home myself.

A sad update,

She became suddenly lethargic and miserable the week before last for a couple of days. Took her to the vet, who couldn't find an obstruction/ruptured egg, but she did have fluid build-up around her lungs/heart. She got IV calcium but deteriorated with her breathing and there didn't appear to be a simple or reversible cause, so I had her euthanised. There must have been something wrong (?heart failure ?cancer) but hard to say what exactly.

Definitely appreciate all the tips, the vet did say there wasn't anything else they thought I could have done at home myself.
I am so sorry to hear that… So sorry for your loss. I’ve lost a chicken a couple of years ago with fluid build up as well… Lots of love :hugs

Back
Top Bottom